• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favourite BJJ moves against wrestlers

I'm back, been training so much no real time to post on the site. I have a really great gym and have been sparring with a lot of wrestlers lately. Do any of u BJJ guys have any favourite techniques against this style? :-? The younger guys r usually no problem as I pull guard and wait for them to tire themselves out, but :idea: we have some guys who've been doing it for 20+ yrs and their positioning and stamina r amazing. They still have crappy submissions but awesome defense. Any strategies or ideas would be welcome :lol:

Donkey

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You cant really give a position or a submission that works on "wrestlers" anymore than you could give a punch thats effective against a boxer- you have to take what he gives you.

That being said, many wrestlers often fight well so long as they're on top, so I can give a basic strategy. Rather than insisting on submissions, attempt to sweep your opponent so you can put him on his back and increase the chances of you setting up another submission. You may find that as you insist on your sweeps, he just may defend the sweep so much that he opens himself up for a good submission attempt.

Another thing I notice is that wrestlers tend to give up their back easily as they struggle to defend the sweep. Try working into the half guard and then go out the back door to the back. If they back up hard you can take the single leg and then you have the sweep. Triangle Man gave excellent advice.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

TriangleMan makes a good point. Wrestlers are used to working for a pin, so they will probably either consciously or subconsciously be trying to work you towards your back for a pin. At the same time, they will probably view going to their back as an attempt to be pinned, and try to fight it extra hard.

However, it will probably be only a matter of time before they break out of this habit, and realize that it is ok to be on your back.

Armbar to triangle combos and Armbar to omaplata combos and triangle to omaplata combos also work great...usually. The key is to be smooth and patient. Do not try to fight against the force they are putting forth. I also find it fun to wrap them up in guard and watch em' fight like caged bears trying to get out.

Thanks guys, the armbar to omoplata works well. :lol: I 'll also try the other stuff. I'm trying to get ready for some upcoming submission tournaments and while I don't mind losing to better BJJ guys I hate getting thwarted by wrestlers. I don't lose to them but time runs out. :evil:

Donkey

Thanks guys, the armbar to omoplata works well. :lol: I 'll also try the other stuff. I'm trying to get ready for some upcoming submission tournaments and while I don't mind losing to better BJJ guys I hate getting thwarted by wrestlers. I don't lose to them but time runs out. :evil:

You shouldn't feel bad about losing to wrestlers. They are great athletes, and many of them have probably been doing it since they were kids, so they will have a lot of experience.

• 4 weeks later...

You shouldn't feel bad about losing to wrestlers. They are great athletes, and many of them have probably been doing it since they were kids, so they will have a lot of experience.

Good point also.