• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ryu Te?

MizuRyu

1- Not yet

2- Yes, and it heavily relies on not chambering your punches. When you do a low block/punch/cover at the same time, when you flip it to switch sides you can NOT pull your striking arm back, it must generate it's force on the upward motion. It makes the punches insanely fast and VERY hard to block or even see, since they start low. Lots of 'flowing' motions, so blocking/striking at the same time is essential. ALL of our techniques can be used 'straight out of the pockets', meaning your hands are in your pockets or at your sides when you're attacked. That's a core concept of the art. No fancy stances, fighting from natural position.

3- Not exactly. A vital point can be struck if the opportunity is PRESENTED, but you shouldn't seek it on it's own. As Oyata says: "It's not where you hit, it's how". We open up spots, but the only one I've done is punching towards their face towards one side (ie.jab to the left side of the face) and expect them to slip it (if they don't, still good lol) and when they do backfist/shuto them in the side of the neck. Their head will move to the side and open up/tighten their neck. A few locks are set up so if you have good position, you can apply pressure on a point itself along with the leverage, which are the most painful locks.

it's very close to what we practice in white crane, i like to see the way they do katas though, as for item three(3). it's not just a vital point, we call it target of opportunity but in white crane karate jutsu we normally hit and block at the same time and lock/tear comes right after which makes a vital point open for a last hit. do you work on body conditioning.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We take a lot of hits and sit in horse stance while doing drills. Some of the students who have been there long get climbed up by sensei Peterson and he stands on their legs to test their leg strength. He encourages us to work out at home on our own saying that we don't have enough time in class to waste on spurring people to take care of themselves. We don't do Sanchin training or anything like that, but we do all leave the dojo sore, one way or another.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

My weapons instructor is friends with Master Oyata's senior guy, Jim Logue from SC.

He and his students have nothing but praise for Oyata, his students and his style.

Mizu I'm glad your enjoying it! I've met a couple times with an instructor in my area and I like it quite a bit as well. He's a great guy, extremely knowedgeable, very humble, and the lessons are great.

Some really crazy stuff, especially the pressure point striking. I like the tuite a lot too, very painful, very effective. The thing about the pressure point stuff is exactly what you said, its not where you strike, but how. And to only learn where to strike won't do anything. You have to change your whole structure and the way you strike in order to really be able to do it. But there's so much more to it than that. The set up for the strikes, working on distancing, limb destructions etc.

The empty hand kata are:

Naihanchi Shodan

Naihanchin Nidan

Naihanchin Sandan

Seisan

Pinan Shodan

Pinan Nidan

Pinan Sandan

Pinan Yondan

Pinan Godan

Passai

Kusanku

Niseishi

Shihohappo

Lots of these are tradional Okinawan Kata. But, the way that they are performed is much much different in Ryu Te than I've seen in other Okinawan systems. For instance in Naihanchi Shodan (I've only started working on the beginning of it) there is no tension, no "hard" strikes, arms come to full extension then whip back, the chambering of the hands is much different than in most styles etc. Everything is relaxed, flowing, and "whip like", is the best way I can explain it.

Striking is much different than hard style striking as well. There is never any tension in the limb. Even on contact. Its very "internal" chinese martial art like. I was shown those "shearing" type strikes to the limbs too, and man they do hurt! They actually do a lot of limb striking and destruction, reminds me a lot of the limb destructions in the Filipino Martial Arts that I practice.

• 1 year later...
Doesn't look to bad. The translation is "School of Hand". Pop in and see what you think.

Sorry, I know I'm necro-posting a bit but wanted to clear this up for any future onlookers.

There are many kanji that are pronounced RYU. The Japanese and Okinawan languages have numerous synonyms.

At any rate the kanji or character in the style name of Ryu Te does not mean so much "School" but is short for Ryukyu as in the Ryukyu islands (including Okinawa) which is where the style originates.

Again, sorry for the necro post.

Lee Richards

Kenshukai

An OyataTe International School