• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well, everyone has covered it, but i will just add one thing

if you want to compete, look for a WTF school. if you want tradition, look for an ITF school

there are exceptions but it is safe to say this is a general rule.

Now you use head for something other than target.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

take your bag with a T-shirt ans a loose pants , go to each school one day and ask for a free class, if they don't honor a free class just forget them, try as much as arts you can and see which one you like the most, one more thing, i personaly never sign long term contract no matter who the instructor is,

I found going with a friend helped as it gave me a little more confidence and it motivated me to go.

I have to agree about the free session, I am sure they will let you have one to get you interested (I think my first one was free) :)

Well, you sound like one of my English students who says all she does each day after class is go back to her dark room! It's good that you recognize that you'll benefit from getting involved in a social sport. I used to be just like you and wish I'd started in martial arts earlier. (I started aged 25). However, you've really got to be sure that it's Taekwondo you want to try, otherwise it won't last long and you'll drop out of it feeling gloomy again. I think go and sample more than one class in your neighborhood and see if it's for you. Remember though, that the beginning is always the hardest. It will seem like everyone else except you can do all the kicks. But after a few months, you should start to feel like you are getting hang of the kicks.

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*

Everyone's covered your questions well. Never let age be a hindrance I was forty-one when I started almost two years ago. I thought I was doing something impressive until we had a sixty-three year old sign up and begin lessons recently. If you're concerned about being shy and competing you may find that as you advance and as your confidence builds you might want to try it. Take some free lessons find a school that fits you personally you will be glad that you did it.

• 2 weeks later...