• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hakucho kata by sensei R.Lindsey

P.A.L

people who understand white crane also are aware of it's soft nature. his kata is perfect.

i found this not long time ago, i sent a message to the poster but he/she didn't repply, it could be one of the students in bastrop or some body in a seminar, the dojo is in Texas but i am not sure if it's Mr. Lindsey's dojo or not.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people who understand white crane also are aware of it's soft nature. his kata is perfect.

i found this not long time ago, i sent a message to the poster but he/she didn't repply, it could be one of the students in bastrop or some body in a seminar, the dojo is in Texas but i am not sure if it's Mr. Lindsey's dojo or not.

He has very few (local) personal students, most are seminarians and yudansha who have trained with him for a lot of years. I haven't trained with him for many months now, but his dojo never had that rattan/wicker chair set-up with the flags before. I'm wondering if it is an old video, although to tell you the truth he's looked the same for some time now. Anyway, I agree that his kata are always perfect, but some forms are just better to look at than others.

If you understand good Matsumura Seito (or other Shorin/Shito/Goju/Uechi) at the BB level then you should understand the crane aspects of Okinawan karate. How have the crane forms helped your overall practice of Kobayashi?

Empiricism leads to truth...

Emotion distorts the real...

He has very few (local) personal students, most are seminarians and yudansha who have trained with him for a lot of years. I haven't trained with him for many months now, but his dojo never had that rattan/wicker chair set-up with the flags before. I'm wondering if it is an old video, although to tell you the truth he's looked the same for some time now. Anyway, I agree that his kata are always perfect, but some forms are just better to look at than others.

If you understand good Matsumura Seito (or other Shorin/Shito/Goju/Uechi) at the BB level then you should understand the crane aspects of Okinawan karate. How have the crane forms helped your overall practice of Kobayashi?

I practice shorin ryu shorinkan (from Kobayashi school of shuri-te) i was fortunate to practice with many sensei in many styles but i gotta tell you the last 2 years in White crane karate jutsu has changed my whole understanding of budo. it was my sensei first then white crane and i was lucky to find them together, when i was guest in a dojo and he was the guest instructor , he has pushed my abilities beyond what i could think, although each round of fighting him ends up to a bloody mess but it made me more resilient in all aspects from boxing to grappling on the floor, i work on may be 10 white crane technique for self defense and i am pretty sure i can make them as ugly as you can imagine and that's enough for me. i honestly don't need shorin ryu anymore as a fighting system but will continue it as my base style . i think white crane should be taught as a complementary system over a base style like uechi ryu/goju ryu/shorin ryu(a high stance okinawan style as the base and can be started as early as 3rd -4th kyu when we have all the basic moves covered) , i have 11 white crane and 14 shorin ryu katas for the rest of my life.

Lindsey Sensei often says that if you are taught proper old-style Okinawan karate, then you learn crane principles from the beginning. I understand what you're saying though, and I agree he fights using karate not pseudo-kickboxing techniques. He was an All-Okinawa sparring champ too, as well as a boxer and starting fullback for Tx. A&M. He understand contact and fighting for sure. My fighting knowledge and skills lept exponentially once I started training Shuri Te Karatejutsu under him.

As far as the White Crane is concerned I never learned any of the forms. He was confident that the Matsumura Orthodox techs and kata were enough. I asked him if it was necessary ( to learn Hakutsuru forms) and he would say, "you do crane everytime we do 2-person drills, hojo undo and most especially the Seito kata". It made sense. The crane forms are done with Matsumura Seito tachi kata, kame kata and waza in mind. Hohan Soken, Fusei Kise and Yuichi Kuda were very satisfied with just understanding Hakutsuru, the only white crane exclusive form in traditional Matsumura Seito. Doing things the Seito way is doing things the White Crane Karatejutsu way.

Great to hear he has made such an impact on your karate. I think he's second-to-none as far as karate guys are concerned. His reach and influence are far reaching, including many so-called students of Soken and Kise who now teach "dian xue/dim mak" worldwide. Good luck and happy training!

Empiricism leads to truth...

Emotion distorts the real...

• 1 month later...
finally ,somebody upload this kata, it is a good version of famous Matsumura Hakutsuru kata, i am gonna try to upload our version too.

This version seemed rather soft and slow. Is it supposed to be this way?

Recently he has been trying to make his organization magazine, "Maishin Shorinji", available to more practitioners. This quarterly mag is full of all the history and explanation of Matsumura Orthodox technique you could ever want. I have the first few issues of it which were printed some years ago.

If he's planning on putting out that magazine, I'd love to know how to get on the mailing list, do you have any more info on it?

He's actually been recommended by my Sensei (also a long time student of Fuse Kise) to a fellow student at the dojo I train in (Matsumura Seito), because that fellow student is moving home to Texas very soon. My Sensei told him it would be more than worth the drive to train with him.

Isn't it amazing when you watch the Okinawan Karate version's of white crane kata's next to white crane based Kung Fu forms how the Chinese origin's of Okinawan Karate really make themselves evident?

There's a couple of white crane Kung Fu forms on You Tube that pop up when you search Hakutsuru, check them out side by side and you'll see what I mean.