• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black Belt achievements

Took me 4 and a half years to get my provisional black, 3 and a half was training full time (5 days/nights a week) and also had a 2 month break when I got run over by a car, luckily only had a broken thumb from it. A year later I got my full shodan.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long does it take to get that elusive black belt? Well, it all depends.....depends on the individual, the style, the instructor(s), and numerous other things. In my school, a black belt in under 4 years is unheard of. It used to be any time less than 6 was unheard of, but the training at my dojo has gotton a little bit softer/easier over the years as we get more popular and gain more students, mostly young ones whose parents would complain if they took to long to achive the next rank. So another factor in how long it would take to get a black belt is, even though it shouldn't be, how mainstream the school is. Anyway, it took me 7 yeas to get my first degree and then 2 more to advance to 2nd degree. However, I can tell you that after 10 years of training, I'm just starting to feel like a "black belt." The cloth dosen't mean much, the experiance does. So if you're looking for that elusive black belt, choose your school wisely and don't quit once you attain it, because that is when the training really begins, as my Sensei says, "Everything up to Shodan is just getting you ready for black belt, it's all really the beginner stuff."

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

How long does it take to get that elusive black belt? Well, it all depends.....depends on the individual, the style, the instructor(s), and numerous other things. In my school, a black belt in under 4 years is unheard of. It used to be any time less than 6 was unheard of, but the training at my dojo has gotton a little bit softer/easier over the years as we get more popular and gain more students, mostly young ones whose parents would complain if they took to long to achive the next rank. So another factor in how long it would take to get a black belt is, even though it shouldn't be, how mainstream the school is. Anyway, it took me 7 yeas to get my first degree and then 2 more to advance to 2nd degree. However, I can tell you that after 10 years of training, I'm just starting to feel like a "black belt." The cloth dosen't mean much, the experiance does. So if you're looking for that elusive black belt, choose your school wisely and don't quit once you attain it, because that is when the training really begins, as my Sensei says, "Everything up to Shodan is just getting you ready for black belt, it's all really the beginner stuff."

This is very interesting. You mentioned that you got your 2nd dan 2 years after your 1st, but it took longer to get to your first. In my style, it takes about 2 years to get to black, if you don't miss a testing, and then the time goes up to get to each dan grade. First dan to second takes 1.5 to 2 years, 2nd to 3rd takes 2.5 to 3, 3rd to 4th takes 3.5 to 4, and so on. I guess it just depends on where you go, how they do it. Who knows how long it should take?

It took so long to get to Shodan because there are 9 under-ranks before black belt candidate (3rd brown). Then, we are required to be at Candidate for a year before we are eligible to even be considered for a Shodan testing. All that took me 7 years. Then, there is a minimum of time at each Dan grade, 2 years at first and 3 at second. I don't know how long after that, and it doesn't really matter to me. The reward is in the training, in the years, not in the rank.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Just my observation, I have heard of people getting their back belt in 1 year in TKD, but when I've actually asked around at local TKD schools (and a few out-of-state) the time to gain that rank is usually around 4 years. So I've never met any 1 year black belts (yet).

In my school you can get to Shodan in 3 years if you are a karate-prodigy otherwise 4 years is more the norm. Nidan is eligible after 2 more years (doesn't mean anyone gets there). and Sandan 5 years after that.

I'd like to say I pulled the numbers out of my hat, but I've been using the same requirements that were handed to me by my Japanese instructors some 40 years ago.

As previously mentioned, the time expected more depends on the club. I've seen some in that will give a black belt immediately, then there is the other. I once went to a JuJitsu school and they tell you straight away, expect about 10 years to get to black belt. They did it for two reasons. 1) to be up front and honest with what they are all about. 2) to put off anyone who is not serious about training.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

The time at which it takes to gain black belt is dependant on the school, not the style.

I agree with Jiffy.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I once went to a JuJitsu school and they tell you straight away, expect about 10 years to get to black belt.

wow that's hardcore. though if a school told me that i'd actually find it quite encouraging.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I have to say, I have never met anyone who ranked to black belt in one year. I attended several classes everyday of the week for 3 years before I became eligible to test. I would show up at the very first class and stay until the dojo closed just training and I am sure even after one year I wouldn't have been ready for shodan.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I think it depends on where you are a little too. I have heard discussion that some of the instructors in Asia don't see the black belt as being important so they are more apt to award it quickly. Beyond that level however, is extremely difficult to achieve. I could see some of them finally viewing you as a beginner once you've reached 1st dan. I don't think people should be allowed to reach 1st dan in less than a year, but it happens and there's not much we can do about it. Most people would say I am far too young to have the rank I currently do. It's always about proving yourself. There could be some people out there who just simply have a knack for the martial arts, and they are able to pick up all the physical stuff, as well as understand the concepts very quickly. You never know, but we shouldn't simply discount someone's ability because they got a rank quicker than we think they should have.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War