• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who should name the dojo?

Triskel

Hi! I've a little question...

Recently at my dojo we thought about givin' our dojo a name, after a little research and some time we found one we all like. We even bought some jackets with the name on it.

But sensei's sensei ( :-? ) (an 8th dan, president and founder of our karate association) even knowing we spend money in the jackets told sensei to change the name of the dojo and he even told him the name he MUST use... And of course we can't use the jackets...

So this is my question...

Who should name the dojo? It's something pretty personal and should somehow represent the people at least what the owner thinks...

Thanks a lot for your answers :D I'd like to hear opinions from some black belts if it's possible...

-------------------------

Karate ni sente nashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I completely follow here. Are you naming your club/organisation or just that particular venue?

In our association the dojos are named by the areas they are in. "Seitou Ryu Basildon Dojo" or just "Basildon Dojo"

One thing to consider is including the style name in the title. E.g. "name" Shotokan Karate Club.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

Personally I think the owner of the dojo should be the one that names it. This way they can choose a name that reflects their teaching style and ethos. However this may run into trouble when dealing with franchises, or organisations that require the dojo to be named after the org.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

If the dojo is named under an organization, and if the organization has a claim to the syllabus you use, or you are franchised or something, then the head of the organization would probably have the final say.

I agree with bushido and Angela, if the dojo is part of an organisation, then it only seems fair that the head person has the final decision on naming the dojo. Maybe having the organisation's name in brackets as part of your dojos name.

E.g. Costa Rica Shotokan Karate Club (association)

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

Just out of curiosity, what was the name you wanted to use? Also, what association do you belong to and who is your sensi's sensi?

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

I would think that the owner of the dojo should get to name it. What does the head of the organization care? It's not his school, and he doesn't teach there, so why should it matter?

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I tend to agree, there may be some guidelines on that basedon the organization the dojo is afilliated with. So the instructor/owner may have already agreed. Moreover it may have been prudent to consult the org before making the jackets.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

The actual owner (the person who pays the rent and has the business license) should be the only one allowed to name the dojo. Unless this organization is paying part of the bills, then this is your sensei's dojo and he should be able to name it whatever he chooses. Even if the organization is offically a part owner, you could try a democratic approach and petition to the board of directors of the organization for the name to be changed.

"On Ko Chi Shin"