• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

taekwondo kicks for beginner

I recently joined hit taekwondo school and we worked on kicks roundhouse and side and when my body gets into that side position holding my leg up like that it is painful i was told the pain will go away gradually but how long did it take anyone else to adjust their body for those types of kicks?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shouldn't hurt at all. Either your body position is not quite right or you are trying to kick too high...either way better not do it too much or you are gonna have life long problems.

Long Live the Fighters!

dont try to start kicking head high from day one.

the key to side and round house kicks is the grounded foot, flexibility will come by itself but start on the technique now.

best thing to do is to get yourself in a good side kick position with your foot on a table or something, then you will be able to concentrate on your body positioning without worrying about the kicking foot.

Now you use head for something other than target.

I imagine the pain you are feeling is on the outside of the leg, which is from not using those muscles very much prior to TKD. These muscles will get stronger with time. Doing side leg lifts and concentration kicks while supported by a wall will help to strengthen these muscles.

Like firghtmaster said, your gorunded foot is very important. Make sure it is pivoted all the way back, otherwise your hips won't open up enough for full extension and comfort. Also, make sure you stretch adequately, otherwise you will be pushing your muscles too hard to try and make up for flexibility that way. And make sure you drink plenty of water. Hope that helps.

Cho Dan Hapkidoist and trickster.