• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How Long

GATES

how long do you practise each day? and what sort of stuff do you do?

today i done about 45mins did some light streching then mawashigeri,mae geri and side snap kicks on the heavy bag,and quite alot of oi zucki and gyakuzuki on the bag too.

not done to much today but i think i built up alittle power.

what about your selfs?

Train hard fight easy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for solo practice, i usually do some squat jumps, push ups, sit ups, and pull ups to get warmed up, then some stretching. then i get my shinai out and do suburi (this is kendo, not karate, but its part of my daily routine), then to the bag to practice striking. this all takes about an hour. then depending on how much time i have, i'll spend like half an hour to an hour doing kata.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I run through every kata about three times a day at least. Then, at other points throughout the day, I'll generally practice various sparring drills.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Every other day I try to do about 30-1:30 of practice. On the side of that I'm always randomly working on blocking, steping, kicking, striking or whatever else I feel like. Drives my girlfriend nuts when we're wandering down a store and I'm practicing block-step or something. :D

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Lots of good information here. You couldn't go wrong with these suggestions. Your own description has good stuff as well. A good thing to keep in mind for your solo workouts is to have a focus, like chambering kicks, or speedy strikes, or something like that. It gives you something to focus on, when thinking of exercises to do.

Generally, if you can go for an hour or so, you are doing well.

i only do katas at home, at night when i watch TV between commercials i do a kata or part of the kata mostly soft version of crane katas, before jumping to the bed i do Sanchin or my version of Tensho.

i only recently had my MA apiphany (sp) in which im really keen, but living at the in laws place doesnt really lend itself to training at home.

hopefully when i move in to my new (big) house i will get in to it a bit more. but knowing me ill start off all gung ho then slow down gradually.

but, hopefully not.

Now you use head for something other than target.

I just got back from a 5.5 mile run that I do every other day while I type this. Tomorrow I run a hill right outside my apartment, up and down. I slowly go down it(it's a steep hill)and sprint up it as fast as I can. It's a very steep(I live in Seattle)and long hill. I spend an hour on bag work every day, which can be varied focusing on knees, boxing, body kicks, leg kicks, and working combinations. For the last few months I have been focusing on Aoyagi, trying to make it "mine". The last few years I focused on Paiku.

I just recently gave up teaching about twenty students at an ecclectic Kempo dojo(I'm not a kempo stylist) so most of my training comes from training by myself or with a few others that are black belts. I'm pretty much retired from competing, only doing Kyokushin tournaments once or twice a year now, but all the others that I train with compete at least every other month, if not more. I don't count teaching as training, because it's not the same. I learn a lot from teaching, but I don't really get a work out from it. Unless I'm holding 30+ rounds of Thai pads, that does a number on your arms..

I won't be back on here after thursday for a while as I will be headed to Ft. Jackson in North Carolina on active duty for a while. I probably won't get much martial art training for a while :(