Ti

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this kata is Unsu and it's in Shotokan....

I do this kata and it's in my top 3, my other 2 favorites are Paiku and Chinto.

I learned the kata while in hayashi ha shito ryu kai, though. It's usually not learned until you're a shodan or nidan, sometimes, even sandan.

here's a "somewhat well known" Shotokan practitioner performing Unsu:

;)

i don't really know it, but yeah, that's unsu. very unique kata, i hope to learn it some day.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I knew there was something weird about him slapping his thighs.

Why did you repost the video that I posted and what do you mean, weird? There are different variations of this kata. In this video it was done a "few years" back. I'm not sure what the current JKA way of doing this Kata is, since you're shotokan you should know.

I know the Shito Ryu way of doing this kata but it is near identical minus a few differences. The strike goes to the inner thigh in the way I do this Kata and how I've seen other JKA shotokan practitioners do this kata in the last decade. Kanazawa is doing this kata more then a decade ago. I can't answer you why but that maybe shotokan tried to break away from the Shito Ryu way of doing it?

Shotokan did get this from Mabuni, not Funakoshi, so that would make sense.

Edited by legkicker

I knew there was something weird about him slapping his thighs.

Why did you repost the video that I posted and what do you mean, weird? There are different variations of this kata. In this video it was done a "few years" back. I'm not sure what the current JKA way of doing this Kata is, since you're shotokan you should know.

I know the Shito Ryu way of doing this kata but it is near identical minus a few differences. The strike goes to the inner thigh in the way I do this Kata and how I've seen other JKA shotokan practitioners do this kata in the last decade. Kanazawa is doing this kata more then a decade ago. I can't answer you why but that maybe shotokan tried to break away from the Shito Ryu way of doing it?

Shotokan did get this from Mabuni, not Funakoshi, so that would make sense.

Cause I thought it was part of your signature. :lol:

Definitely Unsu. You can here him say it twice at the beginning if you listen closely. In our dojo we do perform this kata a little differently. The timing is different, and the jump is as well.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu