• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there a side advantage?

I fight primarily left side forward, which is where we start in American Kenpo. The reasoning behind that is that if you're right handed, you're going to want to use your right hand more. If you stand in a left-leading stance, you're continually reminded that your left hand is in front of you, and much much much more apt to use it. To fight on the other side requires a lot of training and conditioning yourself to throw that left hand reverse punch, or whatever you've got planned.

And man, does it mess with or martial artists' - especially those that fight right lead (I'm thinking TKD, because that's what I have experience fighting) - minds! At least in my experience, which was only up through junior black level, I'd start leading right hand, bow, go back to right lead, and as soon as they said go, spinning back kick and land left lead, then dodge around to their back and chew them up with my hands. I could do the switch thing two or three times before they finally started ignoring it, and by that time, it was usually too late.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jkd - strong side forward - strongest weapons closest to target.

boxing / thai boxing - weak side forard - faster punches closer for defensive reasons. strong weapons with even more momentum from being in the rear = more power.

I heard in another post that you were in JKD before. What is your take on the strong side foreward? Did you like it or do you feel the Thai is better? One more thing, have you ever experianced Paul Vunak and hid RAT system with the straight blast?

Thanks

Enter-pressure-terminate

in my ignorant view of things, it also depends on what kind of a stance your opponent takes. it is one thing to have opposite guards, same stance. it is a completely different thing to have opposite guards, different stances. if they have a short stance with a lot of weight on the back leg (cat, back, et cetera) and you are in a strong forward stance (forward leaning zenkutsudachi for example) then you might have the best luck switching stances with an attack to try to force them back. in matters of opening technique, not only which hand is leading, but what kind of stance and the distance matter immensely

some thoughts on karateKarateRanch Blog

jkd - strong side forward - strongest weapons closest to target.

boxing / thai boxing - weak side forard - faster punches closer for defensive reasons. strong weapons with even more momentum from being in the rear = more power.

I heard in another post that you were in JKD before. What is your take on the strong side foreward? Did you like it or do you feel the Thai is better? One more thing, have you ever experianced Paul Vunak and hid RAT system with the straight blast?

Thanks

I think both have their advantages. with the strong side forward, you have your strong side close to the enemy. Also, you are adding more power to the weak side by giving it more momentum from having to cover more distance. the boxing guard is great because it allows speed up front - great for defense (stick the jab) and major power from the rear. As for my personal style, I am a good outboxer and have a good reach and stiff punches. the thai stance suite me better. out box with my lead - push kicks, lead leg round house and jab - power from the rear - rear leg round house, cross, etc.

I've trained with francis fong and adjarn chai, but never innosanto or vunak.

in my ignorant view of things, it also depends on what kind of a stance your opponent takes. it is one thing to have opposite guards, same stance. it is a completely different thing to have opposite guards, different stances. if they have a short stance with a lot of weight on the back leg (cat, back, et cetera) and you are in a strong forward stance (forward leaning zenkutsudachi for example) then you might have the best luck switching stances with an attack to try to force them back. in matters of opening technique, not only which hand is leading, but what kind of stance and the distance matter immensely

when fighting, you never really use those stances, other than in transition - the way they are supposed to be used. I've never seen anyone - streetfighting, ufc, kyokushin, judo, tkd, kung fu or otherwise who holds a forward stance as their fighting stance. it's too immobile. I've seen a few spar in cat, but not fight from there - forward pressure would probably overrun it.

Using those examples though, the same strategy would apply againse the forward stance. In addition, the rear weapons are further back, so they aren't even as much of a threat. The extra weight on the lead leg makes it a sitting target for leg kicks.

From a cat stance, the rear weapons still aren't a big problem, because your weight is backward. you will have to shift your weight before you can throw them effectively. foot position (trying to keep yours on the outside of his) still applies. Only major difference is that it would be pointless to attack the lead leg.

I fight both sides foward though with Shotokan and Kempo we fight left side foward. I prefer to go opposite of my opponent (left lead vs right lead ect..). It bothers a lot of people and throws them off their game.

It works especially well for me against a person who likes to kick alot with their lead leg. I have a good quick leg sweep all ready for them and am in position to counter and sidestep to the cold side. If they want to throw that lead leg hook kick all the better, just step in scoop, sweep and down he goes.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I always fight belly to belly (same side as my opponent). It makes no difference which side to me, although I'd prefer to have my strong side (right) back. By having my strong side forward, I'm not landing my hardest blows on my opponent because I'm now using my strong side as my set up. I prefer to use my weak side (left) for quick set up techinique's (jab's, front kicks, etc. etc.), then level off on my opponent with my strong side once I have them off balance with quick techniques.