• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

eating well for Karate?

NeilT

just wondering, as although I think I'm reasonably fit, I'm finding Karate getting harder (as I expected it to going through the belts), so wondered whether I should look at both food/drink I eat before and after training and general food diet as well.

Anyone got any thoughts on this aspect? I'm bang on my BMI, so dont need to lose any weight and generally dont eat junk food.

thanks

Neil

3Kyu brown, Shotokan

1st Dan Black Belt Traditional Shotokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How old are you Neil?

As for food, I usually eat a small bowl of pasta (nothing else) and a glass of water about an hour before class. You must remember that you should not eat anything too heavy (like chocolate etc) and also eating before 20mins when you set off for you class usually helps too!

Drinks wise, well I drink water, but ever thought of Lucozade? I haven't tried it, so I cannot comment on it...

Hope that helps!

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

Looking in to your nutrition is always a good idea.There are many ways to improve it without going overboard.

First you must set yourself goals and then consult a qualified nutritionist.

Some things to think about are:What is your daily caloric intake?

How is it spread over the day?

Do you eat enough protein carbohydrates and fat?

What is the optimum ratio between them for your needs?

Do you vary your food sources?

Do you ingest the right ammount of vitamins for your lifestyle?

Do you intake fruit vegtabeles at a sufficiant quantity and variaty?

Only a nutrisionist can help you with a balanced diet .

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

proper diet is essential for any excercise program, just make sure that you incorporate all food groups and don't starve yourself. improper choices in diet can hinder your training and do some severe harm to your body. I would consult your physician for a recommended diet based on your body structure, height, weight, age, etc...

"On Ko Chi Shin"

Well, make sure you drink TONS of water to be hydrated. Also make sure to eat bananas for potassium ( to avoid cramps and balance out the sodium ) and get a good amount of protein for your muscle.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

drinking lots of water is good, but make sure you dont drink TOO much.

you can actually poison yourself from over hydration.

Now you use head for something other than target.

just wondering, as although I think I'm reasonably fit, I'm finding Karate getting harder (as I expected it to going through the belts), so wondered whether I should look at both food/drink I eat before and after training and general food diet as well.

Anyone got any thoughts on this aspect? I'm bang on my BMI, so dont need to lose any weight and generally dont eat junk food.

thanks

Neil

3Kyu brown, Shotokan

well dont eat loads before karate or you will be full and heavy and wont be able to move very wuick but certainly drink a glass of water and pasta or rice. :D

This is a good threat, maybe better for the Health & Fitness forum, but anyway I'd suggest setting up an eating plan with your physician in cooperation with your sensei and a personal trainer from your gym. Alternatively you could simply seek assistance from a nutritionist.

Sounds challengin to start out, but it has helped me greatly. I've lost a lot of weight and am much healthier.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

drinking lots of water is good, but make sure you dont drink TOO much.

you can actually poison yourself from over hydration.

I am not sure how you can over hydrate while working out. I work in a ER and only once have I ever met someone who was overhydrated to the point where they had a sodium imbalance causing severe hyponatremia and needed hospitalization. This individual was an elderly woman with previous condition of electrolyte imbalances. If you drink too much of water you will know because you will feel like you are going to throw up.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.