• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata

ff100

Here is a counter question. Why not learn to use weapons by fighting with them, against other weapons, or against empty handed multiple attackers?

Now, I like to watch weapons forms from time to time, and I appreciate those that do them. They take lots of time to learn and perform. The way that I prefer to learn to use weapons is to actually use them in a combat scenario, against other weapons, and through drills.

good point. to me weapons kata are just like empty-hand kata; its a recording of combat principles and techniques. in kendo we do kata, and when we spar we use a lot of the techniques found in the kata. i agree with you though, if you want to create a system you need to start with actual fighting to see what works, and then formulate a kata from that.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a counter question. Why not learn to use weapons by fighting with them, against other weapons, or against empty handed multiple attackers?

For the same reason I don't try to fly a plane without training. Sure I could go through the years of trial and error of those before me, or I could just find out the best way and then take it from there. Also, what we would learn in todays society with these weapons is nothing compared to those before us that depended on these weapons on a daily basis just to keep them alive.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Well finding a quality kobudo school here is tough. I found a kobujutsu instructor thats willing to teach us and help us get ranked though. I didn't know she taught it but she is still almost a 45 minute drive one way.

Internet and DVD's are your friend :karate:

why design new cars? the vs commodore works just as well on current roads as the new VE does. why didnt they just continue that design through?

That's a completely different scenario. In your scenario, they are building on from what they already had, not branching out into something they haven't done before. Also, the changes they are making haven't been done before, whereas in this weapons scenario, they have. For example, if Holden decided they were going to stick with vehicles, but now they are going to make Planes, it would be silly for them to go through all the trial and error of those who made planes before them. It would be in their best interest to research the topic from these people and start from there.

sometimes you just do something cos you can, not because there is a profound reason for it.
True, which is why I said that if it's just for entertainment purposes, then fair enough, anything goes. But if it's for realistic educational purposes, that's different.

Well finding a quality kobudo school here is tough. I found a kobujutsu instructor thats willing to teach us and help us get ranked though. I didn't know she taught it but she is still almost a 45 minute drive one way.

Internet and DVD's are your friend :karate:

I have a extensive library of DVD's and I will be in touch with Bruce Heilman at some point about Kobudo certification through the USKA also but in the meantime I have taken what I learned a long time and am going with it.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

For the same reason I don't try to fly a plane without training. Sure I could go through the years of trial and error of those before me, or I could just find out the best way and then take it from there. Also, what we would learn in todays society with these weapons is nothing compared to those before us that depended on these weapons on a daily basis just to keep them alive.

You can still learn from the past without the use of forms. This kind of research has been going on for well over 10 years now in regards to Western fighting systems. You can get some great information from this site: https://www.thearma.org.