• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata

ff100

kata had to have been developed in the first place tho.

the people that devised the kata back in the day (word) would have based the kata on situations of the time. i dont think devising new ones are disrespectful, but i wouldnt go replacing the old ones.

maybe as part of something like a 3rd or 4th dan grading you could have "devise a kata and the bunkai for it"

This would be a very cool idea.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I created a set of weapons kata with bunkai but not empty hand

Very cool. I am wanting to put together bunkai for my TKD forms, and I think it is going to be a challenge. I respect your accomplishment!

I created a set of weapons kata with bunkai but not empty hand

Very cool. I am wanting to put together bunkai for my TKD forms, and I think it is going to be a challenge. I respect your accomplishment!

Thank you!! Some are still being worked on so I haven't taught those yet but the bo kata I have been teaching one for 12 years and the other for a year.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

kata had to have been developed in the first place tho.

the people that devised the kata back in the day (word) would have based the kata on situations of the time. i dont think devising new ones are disrespectful, but i wouldnt go replacing the old ones.

maybe as part of something like a 3rd or 4th dan grading you could have "devise a kata and the bunkai for it"

That's IF there was a reason to.

By just creating new Katas with new Kata with no reason, I think you are undermining those who created them, because I am yet to find a part of Combat that is not in a Kata. So either you have found a new part of combat that needs a new Kata to demonstrate it (although Kata is not used for this any more) or, you have not learned all the Kata properly.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

true,

but there must be more than one solution to a combat scenario. im not saying that we should be looking at having more katas recognised by the JKA or whatever, im just saying it would be a good way to demonstrate knowledge.

Now you use head for something other than target.

true,

but there must be more than one solution to a combat scenario. im not saying that we should be looking at having more katas recognised by the JKA or whatever, im just saying it would be a good way to demonstrate knowledge.

OK, let me rephrase, I'm yet to find one solution to a combat scenario that was not in Kata. Eg. for every way I know how to handle a combat situation (within the style), I have found these movements in the 26 original Kata.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

For fun sometimes we'll play around with the taigyoku katas, substituting the stances, blocks, strikes and kicks for others. It's a good coordination exercise and a lot of fun at the same time too.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

true,

I agree with you here. Not all of the current forms systems were designed at the same time. It began with one, and now you have 26 in your style. So saying to create new kata is to undermine he who created the first ones is not really fair. New katas, that are applicable, can be created, and this is good for adapting your martial arts style to your body, beliefs, and theory on combat.

the kata convey principles of combat for all sorts of situations. it is possible, at least in theory, to make a kata which conveys those principles better than any of the existing kata. i don't think anyone is likely to manage that anymore though because no one these days spends anywhere near as much time doing kata as the people who created the old kata.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana