ff100

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our dojo only added one kata to the list we use, and Miyagi also added two kata to the list that we do. All three are kihon kata, with rather simple-but-effective bunkai that also shows up in koryu kata.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

I believe one of the higher ranking requirments in our dojo is to come up with your own kata complete with bunkai. I don't believe these are actually added to the school list of katas though.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

For So Ryu Kan at Godan we develop out own kata and bunkai. It is not part of the training. We do not add. The kata were added years ago in the development and it stays there. I will say that over the years some schools have changed the order of the kata as I was taught them and removed some or use some an optional

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

We do a 5-Kata Kumite. It is a bunkai exercise combining techniques from 5 selected Kata. It is usually from the five Heians (Pinans etc), and performed with one person in the middle, and three attackers.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

We do a 5-Kata Kumite. It is a bunkai exercise combining techniques from 5 selected Kata. It is usually from the five Heians (Pinans etc), and performed with one person in the middle, and three attackers.

We do something similar with the Heian kata but usually with two attackers. My instructor is also in the process of working out a set Kata Kumite using the Tekki kata series as the base.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

We do something similar with the Heian kata but usually with two attackers. My instructor is also in the process of working out a set Kata Kumite using the Tekki kata series as the base.

We do from both sets. The Naifanchi (Tekki) set is rather interesting, and the Pinan set has some interesting twists.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

I personally think that creating your own Kata defeats the purpose of them and undermines the masters before you unless there is some new aspect you want to teach your students through kata that is not in a previous kata (unlikely)

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

kata had to have been developed in the first place tho.

the people that devised the kata back in the day (word) would have based the kata on situations of the time. i dont think devising new ones are disrespectful, but i wouldnt go replacing the old ones.

maybe as part of something like a 3rd or 4th dan grading you could have "devise a kata and the bunkai for it"

Now you use head for something other than target.