• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Going back to Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Ah, I just remembered the acronym for setting goals.

S.M.A.R.T

Specific

Measurable

Attainable

Realistic

Timeline

Very nice. I think I have seen it in my college classes before, I had just forgotten about it.

I had a similar experience, but a little different. I decided to quit, once I got my blackbelt. At the time, I was 12 or so (That actually wasn't too young, because I'd been training since I was 6.) Anyway, I decided to re-join half a year ago, when I was 14.

Enough about me. If you think that you can do it, and you really want to, I say go for it. Being a blackbelt is worth it. I outrank people three times my own age, plus the undeniable physical benefits. The biggest factor in all of it is not strength or endurance, but determination. If you can keep sight of why you started and restarted, stick to the schedule, and continue even when you don't want to, there shouldn't be a problem. Good luck!

I had a similar experience, but a little different. I decided to quit, once I got my blackbelt. At the time, I was 12 or so (That actually wasn't too young, because I'd been training since I was 6.) Anyway, I decided to re-join half a year ago, when I was 14.

Enough about me. If you think that you can do it, and you really want to, I say go for it. Being a blackbelt is worth it. I outrank people three times my own age, plus the undeniable physical benefits. The biggest factor in all of it is not strength or endurance, but determination. If you can keep sight of why you started and restarted, stick to the schedule, and continue even when you don't want to, there shouldn't be a problem. Good luck!

Nice first post. Welcome to the forums! :karate:

If the Sensei in the other club asks you, I would be honest and tell him about your son's friends and that you feel self-conscious. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

As for your black belt: I agree with everybody that it is a realistic and attainable goal. However, try and don't put this in the front of your striving. Enjoy the journey! You'll learn so much on the way to black belt, that it would be a shame not to savor it along the way. And then, when you become a black belt, there is much more..... but I don't want to repeat the other posts. My advice is: Enjoy the journey!

congrats on deciding to return to karate. it'll be dificult at first, but that will pass. I don't think there is anything wrong with "shopping around" for a dojo. Find the one that suits you best. The other sensei should understand. I always encouraged students to check out other schools, sit and watch a black belt class, and observe how they train. If there was ever anything they thought they were missing out on, I would help them if at all possible.

"On Ko Chi Shin"