• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bowing in...

Brady

Responding with "Yes teacher"? Different.

In a way; yes it is different... But on the other hand, a Sensei is there to tach us, and so we must respect that... We learn, and so we follow his rules... I s'pose it is courtsey and respect...

However, he is thinking of changing it! :lol: More or something to;

" Sensei; Doozo o oshieru ware ware o " In other words, "Sensei; please teach us." Along the lines of that! But still in the thinking stage! :lol:

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that there are a lot of schools that do this differently, but still to the same end. Talking to your instructor will be the best bet.

However, he is thinking of changing it! :lol: More or something to;

" Sensei; Doozo o oshieru ware ware o " In other words, "Sensei; please teach us." Along the lines of that! But still in the thinking stage! :lol:

As I said earlier, we use Onegaishimasu, meaning please give to me or please teach me. In my mind it's very appropriate. But I do suppose that "Yes" when instructed to bow works in its own way.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

We do a standard bow-in and bow-out. To begin we stand in the line, and the sempai will ask us to kneel. Then the bow to the front, and the bow to the sensei. (If we are rushed, an informal bow-in is acceptable.) In the end before we repeat the same steps to bow-out however we also go through our dojo kun in both English and Japanese.

There is a Chito-Ryu dojo in this city as well, and they end their classes by saying "Thank you for the pain."

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Wow that is much more formal than what I am used to. We just bow to the teacher and get started. we also bow at the end of the class but that's all.

The best armour is to keep out of range.

Definately... ask your Sensei.

We do a kneeled bow to the instructor and to the students to say thank you. We then do the same at the end of the class.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

most traditional schools have some sort of bowing in system as a part of their etiquette or "reishiki" just ask questions about things that you don't understand, a good teacher is always willing to explain.

"On Ko Chi Shin"