• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where do you stand in line?

DeeBoy

Our heirarchy is broken into two groups. Yudansha (black belts) and Mudansha (non-blackbelts). Our line up is according to seniority within each group. A visitor, having no seniority in our school, joins the line at the end of the respective group. We make no judgement on what belt they wear. Only exceptions are dignitaries and other special-guests-of-high-rank get be at the begining of the Yudansha group rather than the end.

Students from other schools joining my school earn their way up the ladder. They may or may not keep their rank depending on their fitness/skill. Usually blackbelts are recognized at their current rank, all others generally go back to the beginning.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forums! :karate:

As for your question, it is best to discuss it with the instructor to find out what he wants you to do. It is always good to assume that you will not be standing next to the black belts, since it is not a familiar school to you.

If the person is a visitor then they wear the grade they have earned up to that point, regardless of style. Therefore, they slot into the line with their current grade belt on (eg purple, black, blue, etc).

If someone from another club wishes to join my Karate club then they are allowed to keep their current grade if they have trained before in Karate (any style).

However, if the person has trained before in other martial arts (not karate) then we ask them to start at white belt or as a low kyu grade, even if they are a 5th Dan or whatever in their present art. Realistically, what happens is if a person has trained in other MAs then they get bumped up the grades quicker than if they had had no prior training.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Exactly. Nothing wrong with starting at white belt. a) if they don't like it, they have the wrong attitude anyway. b) they will progress quickly anyway.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Here's what I do....

I have studied in karate for over 14 years. I have achieved a few different black belt ranks in a couple of different styles. The highest of which I currently hold is Sandan in Goju-Ryu. There are local schools that I visit on a regular basis, and I have trained very closely with the sensei of those schools. Because of my past training, and that I am a guest in that school whom is also of sensei status, I line up in the front of the line. If it ever bothered anyone, I would gladly move to the back of the line. Things of this nature become less and less important to you the longer you study the art.

If you are referring to a new student JOINING a school, then that is a different story. I always have a preliminary interview and demonstrations of skill. Kind of a pre-test when someone from another school wants to join mine. This test will determine where I place the student. Obviously, I wouldn't start out a sandan at white belt, because this would not be beneficial to them. I may start them amongst the 4th or 3rd kyu ranks and see how they progress and how quickly they pick up on the new material. All karate is BASICALLY the same, although each style is very different in concepts, kata, stance, etc...

"On Ko Chi Shin"

This has happened a few times at our dojo. Generally they wear a white belt and line out at the end with the other white belt. Just goes to show that belt colour isnt always a reflection of skill or knowledge.

thanks for all the input ppl, i appreciate the replys.

i agree with starting as white belt and possibly being reviewed to 3rd of 4th kyu. I was curious also as when we invite someone to our school they stand in accordance with their rank. if they wanted to start training in our style full time, then yes they would start as white belt. but generally they would be standing in line, rank order.

'The key to immortality is to live a life worth remembering'