• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

help with kicks...tkd

Thx for the tips bushido_man96

Anytime! If you need any clarification on anything, let me know. I can get caught up in the fact that I know what I am trying to say, and may not realize that I am assuming others know what I am trying to say. So, if you have questions, let me know. I love discussing techniques.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do both Karate and TKD and started again as a white belt in TKD, even though I was already a dan grade in Karate.

I felt that starting as a BB in TKD would be a bit fraudulant, especially seen as I'd nevery earned any grade in that art. The instructor offered to let me keep my current grade or start at 1st kup (one just before black) but I knew that for myself I had to go through all the grading system.

Because I've trained before in MA it has taken me a year to go from 10th kup (white belt) to 3rd kup (blue belt, red tag). Although I already have "done" those grades in Karate I don't feel that it was a waste of a year - I feel I've learned a lot more by going in as a white belt and learning like a true beginner than starting at black belt and always trying to play "catch up". I shall soon be grading for 2nd kyu, so (because of my previous experience) it hasn't taken me long to get up the grades anyway. (Not that it is all about grading, but I'm sure you know what I mean.)

When I started in another style of TKD, with a different foms set and different one-steps, I had to start at the beginning, having acquired a 2nd dan in the ATA. It was not a big deal to me, I just wanted a school to work out at. I was skipped several ranks in the process, because I caught on quick. And when I was a 1st degree, the instructor talked to the GM about trying to let me test earlier than the time requirement for my 2nd degree, because he felt that was where I was at. I didn't get to, but that's ok, too. In April, I get to test for 3rd dan.

Do you feel comfortable with the new approach to kicks that your CTF instructor is giving you? It has been my observation that the most effective kicks are the ones that hit their mark. I guess I am trying to say that "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Now as for the CTF, they teach sound technique but don't lose your "style" of doing techniques. Remember that ma is personal and in the mean time keep the knee up and close to the body and don't forget to pivot. Good Luck

Imagination

Inspiration

Actualization

Realization

or something like that. So many wasted years.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

Do you feel comfortable with the new approach to kicks that your CTF instructor is giving you?

It's not so much that I'm uncomfortable with the approach my instructor is giving me with the kicks, but more of the fact that in Shotokan, I focused so much on my hand techniques, that my kicks were neglected and I'm a little discouraged with kicking as a whole. Even in sparring, my instructor is always yelling "Kick" at me, but I don't like to be caught with my feet off the ground. I'm thinking "why kick as long as my hands are working?" I can quickly move in close range to use my hands and crowd my opponent and they are unable to chamber tight enough to throw their kicks. I think my problem is mostly mental with these kicks.

It's not so much that I'm uncomfortable with the approach my instructor is giving me with the kicks, but more of the fact that in Shotokan, I focused so much on my hand techniques, that my kicks were neglected and I'm a little discouraged with kicking as a whole. Even in sparring, my instructor is always yelling "Kick" at me, but I don't like to be caught with my feet off the ground. I'm thinking "why kick as long as my hands are working?" I can quickly move in close range to use my hands and crowd my opponent and they are unable to chamber tight enough to throw their kicks. I think my problem is mostly mental with these kicks.

Are you sure that TKD is right for you?

It sounds to me like you are more comfortable with your hands and don't want to use your feet at all, in which case TKD is the wrong art for you IMO. You would probably be better suited to boxing or perhaps sticking to karate but trying another style.

If you don't want to kick then you're going to be missing out on an awful lot in TKD. Although TKD incorporates hand techniques (and some clubs use sweeps and ground work) a big focus of TKD training IS kicking.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Are you sure that TKD is right for you?

It sounds to me like you are more comfortable with your hands and don't want to use your feet at all, in which case TKD is the wrong art for you IMO. You would probably be better suited to boxing or perhaps sticking to karate but trying another style.

If you don't want to kick then you're going to be missing out on an awful lot in TKD. Although TKD incorporates hand techniques (and some clubs use sweeps and ground work) a big focus of TKD training IS kicking.

I'm actually good at leg sweeps, we just can't use them where I train. I am having a blast learning TKD, I just need to get more comfortable with kicking, plus, TKD is the only MA to train in around here now, unless I want to drive 50 miles, and I don't. My instructor is great, and is working with me. I think I just need to practice more and get more comfortable doing something that I've never really focused on that much. Like I said, I think my problem is mental...I've never really done all of these kicks, so it's like getting frustrated over learning a new technique. I just need to work harder.

Thanks for the update. My school was once a member school of the CTF. I know Master Hardin, and possibly your instructor. Master Hardin is a great man! Best of luck to you!! Keep us updated.

I was wondering what CTF stands for? I am not familiar with this one.

Thanks for the update. My school was once a member school of the CTF. I know Master Hardin, and possibly your instructor. Master Hardin is a great man! Best of luck to you!! Keep us updated.

If you were in the CTF, I'm sure you know my instructor...Dawn Martin. I think everyone in the CTF knows who she is. She is awesome and the best MA instructor I've ever had. Even though I've only been in the CTF since May, I had the chance to go to Master Hardin's for Women's Black Belt Camp in June. It was so great and I learned SO much. Master Hardin is GREAT and he thinks that I'm doing well with TKD (he watched me compete at the last tournament and then sat down beside me as I was watching the power breaking competition to give me tips). I'm actually starting to train to go back to Master Hardin's for Fall Camp in October.

Do you feel comfortable with the new approach to kicks that your CTF instructor is giving you?

You've got the right attitude, here, in my opinion. Just keep plugging away, and the kicks will come. Also, I like the way you spar in tight to the other TKD practitioners. It will make them better as well. And when you get to where you can round out your game and do both, you will be able to really work the others over!