• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry for venting!!!!

Shuold I be a little upset??????

I was scheduled to take my BB test that past Feb and for some reason unknown to me (I was the only student to be tested), I was not tested. Now there are 7 of uf ready to test this Feb for our belts (talk about paper black belts). This past week I got diagnosed with Ashtma with restricted airways. I am now to the point that walking up a flight of stairs in my house gets me so winded I need to catch my breath. I spoke to the doctor and I am restricted from any physical activity.

Again, do I have a right to be upset?

I spoke to my Master and he said that he will see if there is anything that can be done for me and I told him that it is not fair to give me the belt as I would rather prove to MYSELF I can do what is required to obtain the rank.

Well I guess I feel a little better, and winded from typing, now.

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say not to worry, and don't rush it. You know you are qualifeid for the blackbelt, so passing the test is just a matter of semantics at this point.

You will get it, don't stress it.

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

I had a student test for black belt who has asthma. I let him put his inhaler on the testing table, and let him know if he needed it he could stop at any time to use it. Sure enough at one point of the testing his asthma kicked in and he had to use his inhaler and get his breath back. You can do it. Make sure your doctor okays the physical activity first, and train to complete the test. Please let us know of your progress!

GOOD LUCK!

exactly, I was going to ask if you had an inhaler. A bit of Albuterol should open your airways enough to give that test a go. What caused the onset of the asthma? Sounds like it wasn't a gradual thing so I'm thinking maybe it's just temporary...I might be wrong there though.

Good luck.

we have a chronic asthmatic at our club and the instructors have no problem with him using it. there is a difference between illness and lack of fitness.

Now you use head for something other than target.

Good advise here. Try to get an inhaler, and see if you can give it a go. You will just have to pace yourself.

Now, about the initial testing, were you held out because you were the only one going to test? Or was there another reason?

I didn't have asthma.. but I burned all the skin off my hands, and had a tournament that weekend.

My instructor was nice enough to let me compete still. I had my hands taped up beyond all recognition and he let everyone know to watch my hands if they could. I took gold in all divisions I was in :) and couldn't punch.

you'll be fine.

"Fear does not exist in this dojo does it?"

I didn't have asthma.. but I burned all the skin off my hands, and had a tournament that weekend.

My instructor was nice enough to let me compete still. I had my hands taped up beyond all recognition and he let everyone know to watch my hands if they could. I took gold in all divisions I was in :) and couldn't punch.

you'll be fine.

Wow, how painful was that? Very great determination on your part.

I have chronic asthma and have taken my inhalers into every test I've done, including both Karate dan tests. As long as your instructor or the examiner or whoever knows about your condition then I can't see it should be a problem to use an inhaler.

I also take my inhalers to competitions - it's always the first think my TKD coach asks me if I've go every place we go to! lol As long as I take my inhalers befoe sparring then I'm usually OK. If I feel wheezy or "under the weather" then I don't compete. Better to forfit a few pounds entry fee than end up in hospital because I've had a severe attack.

As a fellow asthmatic I'm actually a bit surprised that your doctor has restricted you from doing any physical activity. I've been told all my life to keep doing sports and the like as it helps my lungs. As long as I take it at my own pace and not run around like an idiot or try and spar for longer than I can manage then I'm OK. Sport (and MA in particular) has helped my asthma.

Since starting karate a number of years ago I have actually had less severe attacks than I did before I started MA and I've only had to have one spell in hospital, something which I used to be in and out of fairly regularly as a child.

Good luck with your training, I hope that you can find a way to take your black belt test. You deserve to after your hard work.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I too am a chronic asthmatic and have been since I was diagnosed at 2 years of age. I too am surprised that they have told you to cease all sport. Sport is one of the best things for asthmatics when done with a little discression. Speak to your doctor and also your instructor. Most importantly, don't rush.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.