• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

types of karate

Kodiak82

There is a place that teaches Taekwondo and Hapkido by me. What are people feelings about those two MA?

I have been doing TKD for 13+ years now, so I enjoy it very much. It will really depend on the school, as to whether they focus on sport or a more traditional aspect. Check with the instructor. Even if they do focus sport, they will have some fun drills that they do to build reaction time and coordination. I do a more traditional style, with a pretty heavy emphasis on forms. We do spar, but don't focus on it.

I have experience with Combat Hapkido, and have enjoyed it. I think Hapkido will benefit you well. If you can get both TKD and Hapkido in one package at that school, you would be doing well, I think.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are both good Martial Arts. Hapkido works with Locks and Throws whereas TKD works with Blocks and Strikes.

Depends on what you are looking for.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I went to the hapkido class and have to say that I enjoyed it very much. I might try the taekwondo class later, but the hapkido greatly has my interest and I signed up for it.

Good deal. I enjoyed the time I had with Combat Hapkido, and wish my school would bring it back. It is a good style, and will complement a striking art very well. I think it just lacks extensive ground work.

Hi and welcome,

My opinion on the subject:

Typically all martial arts were created for self defense. Although all martial arts have very real sport qualities. The direction that the style favors depends on the school and the sensei. I trained at a VERY traditional school. I have also competed in several tournaments and won titles, trophies, etc... I have different variations of my traditional kata and so forth that I perform at tournaments, than I would normally perform for training purposes. My school never condoned or prohibited tournament or sport karate, as long as you trained traditionally, sensei had no opinion on the subject for or against. I always found that tournaments were a lot of fun and that's the only reason I ever competed. If you must choose a school, I would recommend one that is focused on traditional ways, but one that will allow you the freedom to experience the sport karate as well. It is really a lot of fun, and you meet a lot of people outside of your dojo with the same interests as you.

"On Ko Chi Shin"

Is there a big difference between hapkido and combat hapkido?

Combat Hapkido is specifically designed with self defense on the street in mind, using distraction techniques and other ideas like ground fighting and finishing techniques. I suppose these are all available in traditional HKD, but Combat Hapkido emphasises low line kicks and breaking the initial grip.

Is there a big difference between hapkido and combat hapkido?
Combat Hapkido was created by Grandmaster John Pallegrini. To cut a long story short, he took traditional Hapkido and took out everything that he felt would not immediately work in the street. Therefore, it doesn't have a lot of the whip throws and other fancy techniques that traditional Hapkido does, but encourperates other various principles that are simple and effective.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.