Kodiak82

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the martial arts, and karateforums!

What you've asked could actually be a rather political question, that I'm going to do my best to answer without offending anybody.

Generally in the US, TKD schools are very sport oriented. Wushu is always a sport art. Boxing is also a sport art.

Basically, anything where the main goal of the art is competition rather than hardcore self defense makes it a sport art, as far as I'm concerned. Fencing, or kendo, for example, are not to learn how to kill opponents with a sword - rather, it's about scoring points by striking in a controlled environment - wheras Iajutsu (sp?) is about killing your opponent (not that they actually do, in practice) (as far as I know) :o

On the other hand, any art can be used for self-defense, if applied correctly. Fast, high kicking TKD artists, if they put power rather than just speed, behind their kicks, can be very effective fighters. If you gave a real sword to a Kendo practicioner, or a piece of pipe long enough to be a sword or staff to a wushu artist, I'm quite confident they could defend themself.

This said, the arts I've mentioned, as well as others, are more competition oriented. That's what makes it sport.

Hope that clarifies a little bit...

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Surely, some styles are both, of necessity since it's not really practical to practise kumite "full on" as though in a self defence situation on a regular basis. Most of us have to go to work the next day!

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Welcome to KF! :karate:

As for your question, you can get both sides in some karate schools. The sparring tends to be very sport oriented in many styles, and the bunkai done with the forms practice is very self-defense oriented. So, you could get some of both.

Hi, I'm new to martial arts and was wondering if anyone could tell me the styles of karate that are use for sport and the ones that are used for self-defense.
l

Which are you looking for? The key will be to find a dojo that suits what you're looking for. In our early ranks we teach basics, but later on we're mostly self defense. But we also teach some sport for those that want to compete. Some dojos are mostly sport, others don't want anything to do with it. Frankly, I used to think that sport was a waste of time, but now I look at is another supplement to my training.

Hi, I'm new to martial arts and was wondering if anyone could tell me the styles of karate that are use for sport and the ones that are used for self-defense.
l

Which are you looking for? The key will be to find a dojo that suits what you're looking for. In our early ranks we teach basics, but later on we're mostly self defense. But we also teach some sport for those that want to compete. Some dojos are mostly sport, others don't want anything to do with it. Frankly, I used to think that sport was a waste of time, but now I look at is another supplement to my training.

I like your viewpoints here. You are very open-minded toward multi-faceted training.

Welcome to KF

Do not limit yourself by looking only at Karate or any other single style of ma to suit your self-defense needs. Go to different ma schools in your area and try them all out, most will let you try it for a week or so for free. After you have tried out some different schools you should have a feel for which schools are sport oriented. It has been my experience that most schools in the area which I inhabit are sport oriented...too bad for me. Competition is fun and has its place but it is a far cry from self-defense. Also ma is not just about self-defense so keep that in mind when you start your path in the budo. Good luck

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

I respect them both very much. If you want good info, talk to bushidoman96 - maybe pm him, if he doesn't post soon.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker