• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Few worries about TKD school

My 8 year old has recently started a TKD school and whilst he enjoys it I'm a bit worried that I'm wasting my money.

To begin with the class always starts about 10 minutes late, last week it was 20 minutes late, the old time members just sit around talking etc but the class still ends at the right time, so this means that some classes are only about 50 minutes long. Then they spend half an hour warming up, stretching etc...I know it's important but does it really need half an hour? so in the end they get around 20 minutes of actual TKD and even then the instructor gets a high belt to demonstrate a move to the class and then stands there making him do it over and over again, changing it slightly...deliberating about the best combination etc so the class are stood around for ages watching two people seemingly just having a laugh.

I think they charge quite a lot for what they offer too, the class is £20 a month for one lesson a week (and considering the time wasted in each class it isnt a lot).

There is no sparring in this class either and the kids seem to go through belts very quickly, although they are junior belts so not proper gradings...

Are my worries deserved?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! Doesn't sound like they are really interested in teaching kids so you may want to find another school. If they are going to allow students of that age they should teach them appropriately regardless of the rank structure.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

it depends, stretching and warming up is important but kids can get by with a little less stretching. It sounds like you are dissatisfied with the quality of teaching. You may find a dojo where you can sit through an actual class or two and observe what is being taught as well as management of time.

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

my TKD school used to be 1hr long with about 25mins of warm ups. i thought that was over the top. plus it wasnt just a regular warm up it was very full on, so by the time TKD started you were ready to stop.

sounds to me like you should be looking at other schools. either that, or bring it up with the instructor that you are dissatisfied with the situation.

Now you use head for something other than target.

I think your concerns are verified, and maybe you should check out another location. As for the long warm-ups, they are ok, as long as they are doing something TKD related, like basics or kicks and stance work and stuff. As for starting late, that should not be acceptable practice. I would look around.

that doesn't sound good to me. for a start, if the lessons start late then you're not getting what you paid for. warm up and stretching is important, but at the end of the day its a TKD school and 20 minutes of TKD isn't enough IMO. its hard to learn anything if you're only doing it for 20 minutes a week. i'd find somewhere else if i were you.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I would definitely look into another school. My son is 6 and has been doing karate for 2 years. They have about 10 minutes of warmups. His classes are 45 minutes but he goes 3 or 4 times a week.

Good luck!

The optimum warm up time is 17 minutes (don't ask me how they found that one out :lol:). Anything below this you will not get the proper stretches in, anything above this is pure exercise.

Classes should always start on time.

At the end of the day you are the paying customer and you have to decide if you are getting value for money. Anything is only ever worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

It seems to me that you already know your answer by your very post on here. :)

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

i think that even if you do have a contract it would be void as he is not providing the service he has been contracted to do, by starting the classes late.

Now you use head for something other than target.