• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Kind of Karategi's do you all wear??

Phantasmatic

I am currently wearing an ironman from Century, but by July I think I'm going to get a Tokaido or Shureido (very durable Gis made in Japan and Okinawa).

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there is a difference, but I just haven't really noticed. I've worn a gi (a long time ago) when I took Aikido and I've trained in kung fu uniforms and now most of the time I do tkd so I wear a dobok. What are the general differences between a dobok and a gi?

Anyways just wondering. The first thing that comes to my mind would be that in my experience gi's are usually made of a somewhat thicker material. but that's about it, I dunno :razz:

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

I'm curious about the difference between the two as well.

I will say that I really felt the difference between training in t-shirt and shorts and training in my KSW uniform when it came in. I can only imagine what the workout must be like if gis tend to be heavier...

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

I recently bought a new tokaido straight from tokaido in japan it is very nice however i still prefer toyo karate gi's they jsut feel heavier and fit better to me .

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

I don't wear a Gi very often - but when I do (for grappling) I wear my heavyweight Milom's Balck Gi. Bought this 10 years ago - comes with a lifetime guarantee too. If it rips or wears through they will repair it free of charge! No sign of wear yet!

I wear my ladies frock (Hakama) for Iaido practice :grin:

YODA

2nd Degree Black Belt : Doce Pares Eskrima https://www.docepares.co.uk

Qualified Instructor : JKD Concepts https://www.jkdc.co.uk

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

In a dobok, the top is open, v-necked and is a pull over. the lapels of a karategi are either tied or rely on the belt to be held together, so basically they have a collar that extends all the way to the skirt of the jacket. The pants are the same.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

I actually wear two different gi's. For kata and basics I wear the Kamikaze Canada Monarch. For Kumite I wear my Adidas Kumite Gi.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

In a dobok, the top is open, v-necked and is a pull over. the lapels of a karategi are either tied or rely on the belt to be held together, so basically they have a collar that extends all the way to the skirt of the jacket. The pants are the same.

Weird. We call our uniforms Doh Bohks, but they're as you describe karategis.

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won