• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ITKF Tournament

cathal

I can see some of your points, DancingSteve, but I still think that the heel down application is that important. You mention that a lot of kicks score points.....well, they would, because you won't get docked for your heel being up, because it is likely going to be planted as your base leg.

My tournaments are body displacement....meaning you have to move someone with a technique to get a point. This can still be done with the heels up off the ground, it is just a different set of mechanics.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see some of your points, DancingSteve, but I still think that the heel down application is that important. You mention that a lot of kicks score points.....well, they would, because you won't get docked for your heel being up, because it is likely going to be planted as your base leg.

My tournaments are body displacement....meaning you have to move someone with a technique to get a point. This can still be done with the heels up off the ground, it is just a different set of mechanics.

I didn't mean to say most points are scored with kicks. I was just saying usually you catch someone with good timing and a nice kick. Gyaku Zuki is the biggest technique. Block--Counterattack.

I completely understand the point everyone is trying to make, I'm just trying to explain to you how ITKF works. Its the way its always worked..and I find it to be enjoyable.

The problem with ZakaiRu's theory is that I'm not trying to 'hit hard' by putting my 'weight' into a punch. If that were true, only big people could 'hit hard' right? I'm trying to get a well executed technique to the target area with proper timing. I've used the wall tests for my punches many, many, many times as well. The fact of the matter is that the physics of your stance and the 'connection' to the ground is of great importance in JKA ITKF Shotokan, and that's never going to change. It affords people who are only 100 lbs to deliver a solid punch where force does NOT return to your stance because your rooted and connected to the ground. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that you don't believe in Kime. But to each his own.

I come to you with only karate.

My hands are empty, but I fear no man.

see in TKD you ge the opposite problem, no snap just push in techniques. =/

On the contarary, many round kicks thrown in TKD tournaments have quite a bit of snap on them. I think you may be confusing "push" with "follow through."

No. Its a push. =/ I competed for both the AAU and USTU as a "tang soo do competitor"

Sorry. in olympic TKD you are better off throwing a side thrust kick from inside range then you are doing any other technique just because of the push.

I have seen side kicks thrown and not scored, because they like the round kicks too much!

Another thought on the side kicks. If the two fighters are close together, then chambering a tight side kick will look like a push. But, from a distance, it won't be pushing. It may look like it, because of the chest protectors. I do know that when I break boards, it isn't with a push!

• 1 year later...

why do people in itkf/aakf keep thinking that they're part of JKA.

im trained in JKA, but have to resort to aakf b/c i've moved out to the middle of nowhere. aakf (in training, kata, kumite, and mentality) is nothing like JKA at all

what really ticks me off too is that there are many aakf dojos that still hang the JKA banner w/ the words "JKA _____(fill in blank with region/state/city)

some though are honest enough to say they're JKA styled karate.

btw, nakayama shows the gyaku-tsuki with the heel off the ground as a technique in his books. we do this in JKA.

why do people in itkf/aakf keep thinking that they're part of JKA.

im trained in JKA, but have to resort to aakf b/c i've moved out to the middle of nowhere. aakf (in training, kata, kumite, and mentality) is nothing like JKA at all

what really ticks me off too is that there are many aakf dojos that still hang the JKA banner w/ the words "JKA _____(fill in blank with region/state/city)

some though are honest enough to say they're JKA styled karate.

btw, nakayama shows the gyaku-tsuki with the heel off the ground as a technique in his books. we do this in JKA.

Isn't Nishiyama Sensei (head of the ITKF) still affiliated with the JKA in some way? On the JKA Japan website, he's listed as the Instructors Committee Technical Advisor. Of course, Okazaki Sensei is listed on the site too, and he broke away from the JKA, so it isn't current.

http://www.jka.or.jp/english/about/chart.html

I was always curious about the relationship between the ITFK and JKA. ITKF members don't seem to participate in JKA events. I asked one ITKF sensei, and he says he's JKA and pays JKA dues. But, I've never heard anything about the ITKF being affiliated with the JKA/WF America (Japan Karate Association World Federation America) or with the ISKF (Intl Shotokan Karate Federation) when they were still JKA.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

http://www.aakfgreatlakes.com/graphics/dojo/4big.html

http://www.aakfgreatlakes.com/graphics/dojo/1big.html

here's an example of AAKF using the JKA name. the american amateur karate federation, formerly the all american karate federation, (AAKF) broke away from the JKA 20 something years ago, yet they still use the JKA name.

if u look closely in the photos, you'll see the JKA symbol w/ indiana written below it. on the symbol is the worlds "Japan Karate Association"

trust me, it's there. in the mean time, im gonna look for a better pic or something.

When I trained JKA, we had these booklet/passport things. When i trained one time at an aakf dojo (under the name jka indiana) with a bunch of other people, i was never asked to show my JKA booklet/passport.

and what peeves me off is that these members (i have to deal with a lot of these guys...long story) keep saying that they're JKA or o wow i have just received rank in JKA or we have high standards b/c we're JKA. I'm thinking that it's very likely that the "jka indiana" dojo's survival depends on hoodwinking people into thinking that jka indiana is an actual JKA dojo.

here's a video of their kumite. compare that video to anything JKA or even shotokan in general

http://groups.northwestern.edu/karate/images/11032007/11032007sarah1.AVI[/i]