• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

problems in the IOGKF USA

bbk2132

I was just thining. I bet if all those kyu ranks stopped paying for testing fees and dues, the orginization wouldn't last very long. Someone may want to remind them of that.

well thats another thing our wonderful cheif instructor has already thought of.

It used to be members payed $15 a month to be a member, but now a dojo has to pay $600 a year of $70 a month, even if they only had one student. So it doesn't matter, he still gets the money money.

And I can't just quit the organization because my whole dojo is involved in it. The IOGKF is THE organization for goju ryu. And i beleive things will change. This is a world wide orginization, but only the US faction is having these dificulties. Members all throughout the US are writing letters and taking action. It's practicaly a civil war...

We get a lot of talk about McDojos around this site. It sounds like your organization is trying to be a McOrganization. I don't like the sound of how things are going, and it sounds like politics as usual for the MAs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I was just thining. I bet if all those kyu ranks stopped paying for testing fees and dues, the orginization wouldn't last very long. Someone may want to remind them of that.

well thats another thing our wonderful cheif instructor has already thought of.

It used to be members payed $15 a month to be a member, but now a dojo has to pay $600 a year of $70 a month, even if they only had one student. So it doesn't matter, he still gets the money money.

And I can't just quit the organization because my whole dojo is involved in it. The IOGKF is THE organization for goju ryu. And i beleive things will change. This is a world wide orginization, but only the US faction is having these dificulties. Members all throughout the US are writing letters and taking action. It's practicaly a civil war...

We get a lot of talk about McDojos around this site. It sounds like your organization is trying to be a McOrganization. I don't like the sound of how things are going, and it sounds like politics as usual for the MAs.

It's not a Mc anything, the IOGKF is one of the biggest, if not the biggest organization present in the USA. In Okinawa things are much different.

However, I agree with yudansha only being members but only if the kyu student's aren't paying fees.

I personally think White belts are more important. They are the future of the system and organization.

But what does Higaonna Sensei say about this? IOGKF is his organization adn ultimately he has the final say in my mind.

i have no idea, we have been having problems for months now, and I havn't heard any word of him even being aware of it, but I'm not sure.

To bushido_man96,

the IOGKF as a whole is far from a McDojo. But it is true that the US cheif instructor is attempting to turn it into one. He is making sure he gets money in all sorts of needless ways. He even rose the price to an insane amount for a Seminar with Higaonna Sensei, the head of our org. The email he sent out to the blackbelts eligable to go was written like an annoing car commercial you hear on the radio.

"good enough is the enemy of excellence"

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa

I personally think White belts are more important. They are the future of the system and organization.

But what does Higaonna Sensei say about this? IOGKF is his organization adn ultimately he has the final say in my mind.

i have no idea, we have been having problems for months now, and I havn't heard any word of him even being aware of it, but I'm not sure.

To bushido_man96,

the IOGKF as a whole is far from a McDojo. But it is true that the US cheif instructor is attempting to turn it into one. He is making sure he gets money in all sorts of needless ways. He even rose the price to an insane amount for a Seminar with Higaonna Sensei, the head of our org. The email he sent out to the blackbelts eligable to go was written like an annoing car commercial you hear on the radio.

It is not my intention to offend anyone, and I apologize if I have done so. It just sounds like the organization trying to bump up how much money they make. Make the colored belts pay higher dues, but don't let them count as members. And when that much money comes into play, over that many people, it kind of raises some red flags. It sounds kind of fishy to me. If things are different in Okinawa, then it sounds like this may be the beginning of a big disagreement, and another political arguement and break-up in the world of martial arts.

I sincerely hope this does not happen, and hopefully the situation gets resolved soon.

• 3 years later...

I'm curious as to where this information is coming from.

Who is the chief instructor of IOGKF USA?

As I understood things, Sensei Nakamura is the chief instructor to the USA, but that was soon to be granted to Sensei Villa.

I am a member of the IOGKF and it seems ludicrous to think that anyone in the organization would consder Kyu rack non-members.

I'm curious as to where this information is coming from.

Who is the chief instructor of IOGKF USA?

As I understood things, Sensei Nakamura is the chief instructor to the USA, but that was soon to be granted to Sensei Villa.

I am a member of the IOGKF and it seems ludicrous to think that anyone in the organization would consder Kyu rack non-members.

Snagbranch, this is an old thread from 2006. As you might know, several high ranking members have broken away from the IOGKF since then for differences of opinion over issues like the one brought up by the OP. I believe the USA chief of 2006 is no longer with the organization.

This thread is not kind to him, but from what I understand, he had the best of intentions. I don't have all the details, but from second hand info, I believe he was trying to make things better for the organization and for his sensei, not line his own pockets.

Personally, I don't think kyu ranks should be excluded from membership, but I can see why it might be nice if lower ranks weren't required to join a national or international organization. This could result in lower costs for beginner students who aren't as sure that they want to be there. Later, when they're more serious and can see the benefits, then they can join. Just my $0.02.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com