• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

problems in the IOGKF USA

bbk2132

I am curious if anyone who does Goju-ryu and is in the IOGKF in the US knows about the troubles that have been taking place between our cheif instructor for the US and dojo owners within the organization.

Recently, the US cheif instructor has decided that only Black Belts should be recognized as membersof the IOGKF. So, the message is that you don't count unless you are a black belt.

i'm just curious about your thoughts on the subject, even if don't do goju-ryu do you think it is right for non-dans to be (for lack of a better word) discriminated in this way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My opinion is that I am a black belt and am therefor part of the organization. But I still welcome any advice that anyother students can give me about my sparring or kata, no matter what belt they are. I am not a very good sparer, and their are blue belts my age who can beat me. So just because i am a black belt, i get to represent and be a member of this organization, while people who are, in their own ways, better than me don't simply because they havn't made it to black belt yet.

Karate and goju-ryu is more than just getting a black belt. And in a sense the message being sent is that all the IOGKF stands for is getting your black belt. Which isn't in the least bit true. It's about keeping the tradition of Goju-ryu alive as Miyagi Chojun would have wanted it to be. Their is so much more to goju ryu than just the thought of being a black belt. The moment you step foot into a dojo and bow you become a part of something huge and you represent hundreds of years of tradition.

I say white belts are just as important as the black belts in the scheme of things. We all had to start somewhere, they deserve to be acknowleged as part of our organization.

"good enough is the enemy of excellence"

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am going to have to say I agree with you on this one. All students within a system are important regardless of their rank. This is our "living tradition" and without it our arts would die.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Sounds a bit harsh to implement something like that. Doesn't sound the slightest bit fair. Kyu grade students are just as important as Dan grades IMHO. It's stuff like this which is exactly why I won't join into any organisations and stay independent. At some point or other it starts getting too controlling.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

i don't like that at all, if you practice the art then you are/should be a member of it.

ugh...i hate MA politics.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

In my system you can't participate in tournaments or gradings without the membership. This tracks your rank records and validates your eligibility.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Sounds unfair. There are plenty of orgs out there. Just find a new one. I know that may sound harsh, but discrimitation is not ok...and you should not ignore it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I was just thining. I bet if all those kyu ranks stopped paying for testing fees and dues, the orginization wouldn't last very long. Someone may want to remind them of that.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I was just thining. I bet if all those kyu ranks stopped paying for testing fees and dues, the orginization wouldn't last very long. Someone may want to remind them of that.

well thats another thing our wonderful cheif instructor has already thought of.

It used to be members payed $15 a month to be a member, but now a dojo has to pay $600 a year of $70 a month, even if they only had one student. So it doesn't matter, he still gets the money money.

And I can't just quit the organization because my whole dojo is involved in it. The IOGKF is THE organization for goju ryu. And i beleive things will change. This is a world wide orginization, but only the US faction is having these dificulties. Members all throughout the US are writing letters and taking action. It's practicaly a civil war...

"good enough is the enemy of excellence"

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa