• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was just seeing how many people seek out local/regional touraments on a regular basis. I'd like to, but I dunno where to start.

"Fear does not exist in this dojo does it?"

I was just seeing how many people seek out local/regional touraments on a regular basis. I'd like to, but I dunno where to start.

First, check with your instructor. Then, check with all of the area schools, because many will have a yearly tournament. Also, check to see if there are any Association schools in the area that will allow non-members compete in their tournaments. This will help you get started.

My instructor is really not the "competition" type. So he's not going to have much information for me. He's more of a "this is for fitness" type instructor. I wish I could go somewhere else.. and I could but I would have to start all over from scratch I imagine. He doesn't really teach alot of the stuff I would like to learn.

"Fear does not exist in this dojo does it?"

I compete on a regular basis. For TKD-only competitions I go with my instructor and he organises a team of people to go. Same with Karate-only competitions

For "Open" competitions (Semi-contact type) I either find out about them through my Karate Club or (more commonly) search on the internet for comps that are coming up. There's a few of us from Karate that go to competitions like that, as well as the big major events that we all go to as a dojo.

I usually do a search on google or competitions or look in martial arts magazines. People have sometimes PMed me on forums too to let me know of events that are happening.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I compete once or twice a year. I just do the local/association stuff. Maybe I'm too lazy to seek something bigger ... who knows. But I would like to someday do an open tourny and get grand champ in forms and breaking. That's just a dream right now, though.

Laurie F

I usually compete about twice a year, need to more, but had back surgery about a year ago and am building the body back up. But usually you can go through your organization or join karate organazations affiliated with your state etc. with a fee and then you will get info as to when the tournaments are being held. In my case it is the OKA where you can go and look at all the tournament schedules and rules as well. Even though your instructor is not a tournament guy, and I have known a few of those, ask him anyway, he probably knows the answer just because he doesn't sell it. Competition is a great thing as you learn so much and going home with hardware is so bad either. :D

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.