• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The disadvantage of your MA

Im a firm believer that the best way to defend from a weapon it to master the weapon. Thus I think Shotokan Karate could use a little weapons that you could see on the street like a Bo or Jo and anchient weapons like a Ore and Hoe. No one will attack you with a Sai ro Sword I would not think. Also like to see some more grappeling.

To fix those 2 concerns myself I have cross trained after making my black belt. I now add bits of my cross training inot my Shotokan class but not as required learining.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hiya G95.

I thought Shotokan did have some ground work? I seen a Shotokan school here in NY that does ground work. Maybe the teacher cross-trained somewhere like you did.

Laurie F

The Tekki kata if you lay on your back. Some teach it as the guard postion. I do. However their is not ground stuff taught at face value in Shotokan. There are a lot of moves in a lot of the kata that can be intrupted as ground moves. Which they may be. I like to think they are. Gives my art more credit. LOL....

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I like that G95. I like "digging" into forms to find out different ways to use them. I did TSD, which has the same forms as Shotokan (different names, though), so the more I learn about them, the better. Thanks, man :smile:

Laurie F

Does TSD do the Pidan kata. My American TAO teacher mixed TSD, TKD, Hapikido and some Kung Fu to form American TAO.

Kickboxing- no grappling

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"