• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ibuki

ff100

I've just been informed that there are two types; soft (in-ibuki) and hard(yo-ibuki) and wondered if anyone could explain what soft ibuki is and how its performed as I've only ever done hard ibuki.

Thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As I recall (and it has been some time) it all has to do with how you're doing it.

Soft: You relax your stomach muscles, fill up your abdomen & lower back, and finally your lungs. This is part of a normal breathing pattern, or an 'at rest' breathing pattern. This is the preferred method in most aikido systems.

Hard: You tense your abdomen & stomach muscles, and breathe only in with your lungs. This is most common in high emotional states such as anger & frustration. This is NOT the prferred method in most systems, let alone aikido.

BTW A good exercise any experienced instructor will have you do is stand straight, relaxed, and breahe in and out. Then, without breathing in, ask you to simply relax your stomach/abs. This will help you determine how tense your breathing is.

Hope this helps.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I've just been informed that there are two types; soft (in-ibuki) and hard(yo-ibuki) and wondered if anyone could explain what soft ibuki is and how its performed as I've only ever done hard ibuki.

Thanks in advance.

i guess you're reffering to Sanchin for hard ibuki, i think soft ibuki is more close to breathing method of Tensho

Is there a difference between the breathing in Sanchin and the breathing in Tensho? I always thought they were the same? Although I know there are soft forms of the same katas too.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

Is there a difference between the breathing in Sanchin and the breathing in Tensho? I always thought they were the same? Although I know there are soft forms of the same katas too.

Tensho represents the Ju side of Goju ryu , the breathing is lighter than sanchin and movments should express the flow of techniques, although many people do it same as sanchin,