• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A little worried about Morihei Ueshiba and ki altogether...

People have said that ki is like energy. What if it is also like air? Who created air? Is it good or bad? We know that we need it to be able to function and you might have problems if you don't have enough air. We can't see air, but we know it is there and people are very comfortable with the idea.

you can also prove the existence of air... you can't positively prove the existence of ki - heck there's not even concensus on what it actually is.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may want to consult your spiritual advisor (e.g. priest, etc) on this topic. It must have been debated before and I'm sure they can put chat with you on that.

As for myself, so long as the power doesn't come from anger, hate etc and lead to the same then I believe it is OK.

what's wrong with power through anger? I would imagine jesus was upset when he chased the money changers from the temple. I would imagine soldiers were upset when they were in battle but had Him on their side. There is no commandment that states not to get angry, and if I'm not mistaken, nowhere in the bible does it tell you to not get angry. Anger is a natural emotion. What's important is what you do with that emotion. anger and hate are drastically different.

I would say there's nothing inherently wrong with anger at evil, but it's so hard to stay angry and simultaneously objective. Anger rapidly disolves into uncontrolled rage. Wasn't there something about, "Do not let the sun go down on your anger..."?

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

You may want to consult your spiritual advisor (e.g. priest, etc) on this topic. It must have been debated before and I'm sure they can put chat with you on that.

As for myself, so long as the power doesn't come from anger, hate etc and lead to the same then I believe it is OK.

what's wrong with power through anger? I would imagine jesus was upset when he chased the money changers from the temple. I would imagine soldiers were upset when they were in battle but had Him on their side. There is no commandment that states not to get angry, and if I'm not mistaken, nowhere in the bible does it tell you to not get angry. Anger is a natural emotion. What's important is what you do with that emotion. anger and hate are drastically different.

I would say there's nothing inherently wrong with anger at evil, but it's so hard to stay angry and simultaneously objective. Anger rapidly disolves into uncontrolled rage. Wasn't there something about, "Do not let the sun go down on your anger..."?

there is:

"Be angry and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger."

read the first part - you can be angry, but it stresses not to sin if you do. Also, here's another scripture:

"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry..."

as long as the result of your anger is not sin, then there is no issue. If you walk into your house to find someone assaulting your mother, won't you be mad? but the end result was saving her, which is not sin. your anger was justified.

elbows_and_knees wrote:

Bluetulipx wrote:

People have said that ki is like energy. What if it is also like air? Who created air? Is it good or bad? We know that we need it to be able to function and you might have problems if you don't have enough air. We can't see air, but we know it is there and people are very comfortable with the idea.

you can also prove the existence of air... you can't positively prove the existence of ki - heck there's not even concensus on what it actually is.

... and not knowing what it actually is, makes it very exciting (to me at least)

100 years ago if you asked someone about home pcs they would have thought you were nuts. Now it's a common household item.

500 years from now, who knows, maybe we will have defined ki - and (this is just a bluetulipx concept not anything official - and it is not intended to be disrespectful):

We could have ki clinics. A person might say to their friend, "I'm not feeling very well to day, I think my ki is not good ... let me go to the ki clinic to sort it out."

Or as someone has suggested, it might be focus and we might be able to take tablets to make our ki better?

Or put special glasses on to see another person's ki?

Or it could be something different again and still in 500 years we haven't defined it.

Please note the comments stated above, are just concepts of possibilities.

My idea being, you just never know what we might discover.

as long as the result of your anger is not sin, then there is no issue. If you walk into your house to find someone assaulting your mother, won't you be mad? but the end result was saving her, which is not sin. your anger was justified.

I concur completely.

Bluetulipx, I like those ideas. Very sci-fi...you could totally make a movie. :D

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Well, look at it THIS way. Before the discovery of radiation and all it's levels, it was a ludicrous, mystical idea. Who says we know everything? The box in which the human mind thinks has always been notoriously small. We think we know everything, only to get slapped in the face time and time again by a new discovery. We already know what Ki isn't, but we're still trying to find out what it is, IF it is.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

MizuRyu - Good post.

Everything we see around us is only our human interpretation of it at this current moment in time. I find that sometimes people have tunnel vision or are blinkered to other things around them.

I guess it's just the way we are as humans, but, if we can't prove what something is - how can we say with absolutely certainty that it isn't like something else.

Especially if it's a concept.

our understanding of the world is in constant change, but that doesn't change the fact that at the moment, there are some ideas and theories that make a hell of a lot more sense than others.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I wasn't saying anything against anger at all. I was referring to the source of a person's power. In this case we were referring to generating power for martial arts as well. I seriously doubt Jesus starting beating people up just because he was a little angry.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I wasn't saying anything against anger at all. I was referring to the source of a person's power. In this case we were referring to generating power for martial arts as well. I seriously doubt Jesus starting beating people up just because he was a little angry.

of course he didn't, that would be a sin. I pointed out a scripture above that stated anger was tolerable as long as sin wasn't the result. As with the example I gave, the result of Jesus' anger was him cleansing the temple.