• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fight Science

Exactly right. It's just a case of entertainment with a hint of fact. If it sparks a discussion like this one, then I guess it has done a good thing.

You make a good point. We all have some positives and negatives about it, but the most of us did watch it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could also attract new students to the arts. Peiople might say I want to kick that hard. And, having "science" exaiming the arts could give them credibility to people who think its all mystic mumbo jumbo.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do

It could also attract new students to the arts. Peiople might say I want to kick that hard. And, having "science" exaiming the arts could give them credibility to people who think its all mystic mumbo jumbo.

This show just scratches the surface of what kind of research could actually be done with the fighting arts.

This show just scratches the surface of what kind of research could actually be done with the fighting arts.

I agree. If a real "fight science" were ever done, I'd just love to see it!

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

The problem is, Martial Arts are not main stream enough to warrant someone picking up the bill for that kind of research.

I don't know, some universities could do it, I think.

i'd love to see some proper research done on this, but it would be difficult to conduct properly. MA are so complex, so many factors, where would you begin?

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Well, you would start with a control group, and then have a martial arts group, and have them each doing similar tests. Also having the various weight classes so to speak would be good as well.

The best way to do it would be to find a large group of people with similar physical and mental abilities. Make sure none of them have any Martial training or anything the closely relates to it. Then send them of in groups to get training in the various arts (at least 5 per art) and monitor their progress. Compare it periodically to when they started.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

well, just had an ad on foxtel (oz pay tv) that next month is MA month on NatGeo, and fight science will be on the menu.

i will have my 160gb HDD recorder just in time too.

Now you use head for something other than target.