• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fight Science

I thought that it was pretty good all around. Yeah there were some parts that were made overly dramatic, but at the same time it's made for T.V. and also being hit hard enough to maim or kill is a bit dramatic anyway.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually completely forgot it was on :roll:

However I'm going to try and find it on the internet. If I find the link I'll post it here for people who missed it but want to watch it.

The best armour is to keep out of range.

I also thought the impact data was pretty interesting. I would have been very interested in seeing what the strength of that Thai boxers knee was in numbers. I would have also liked to have seen the strength of his roundhouse kick.

Another idea I had- since they tested Ricksons torque strength for his neck crank among the strikers power in their attacks, I think it would have been kinda cool if you could have tested the power with which a Judo guy can throw an opponent to the ground, or the speed in which a wrestler can shoot in.

Lastly, I wanted to see if I could get a charity started for the TKD guy so he could buy himself a shirt...... I'll put down money says he does XMA.

One thing i did not understand was. You had a Jiu Jitsu person,Kung Fu person, Karate person and a Taekwondo person. Is Taekwondo not karate ? Why were they seperate ?

Ask the koreans if taek won do is karate and you will get you answer. Technically it is I guess but karate is a Okinawan thing that moved on to japan.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Good program. What other martial arts or techniques would you have tested? I would have liked to seen the following:

- Traditional Kung Fu Style

- Iron Palm Impact

- M.T. Leg Kick Impact

- Tai Chi or Aikido

- Reaction/Speed of Wing Chun

I thought the way they said TKD generates this much power, Karate this much, etc. was pretty lame. You can take a good TKD guy like the one on the show and he can generate a lot of power, take another and they'll generate almost none. Same thing for the other arts. So unless you had some incredible folks with great unique techniques I don't think you can say this art is more powerful than that one (as we all know about when we discuss the various strengths and weaknesses of arts in a "real" fight").

What I found very useful was the way they showed the forces hitting someone. When I took my CPR class we were told that advanced martial artists should take the advanced CPR class as we could stop a heart with a good strong punch. This show helped confirm that.

I also liked how they showed the bones breaking. One thing we go over and over and over in Uechi is protecting the ribs. Seeing how they are fairly easy to break, I think really added to my insight. Now I can picture what would happen if I applied technique at full power. (Not a pretty thought).

Overall, I thought this was a good show. Consider the intended audience, consider the producers, etc and the mixuture of information and the mixuture of entertainment was pretty good. Could it have been better? Sure. Could it have been worse? Of course.

In my case it was worth recording on the TiVo and then watching!!!

I also thought the impact data was pretty interesting. I would have been very interested in seeing what the strength of that Thai boxers knee was in numbers. I would have also liked to have seen the strength of his roundhouse kick.

Another idea I had- since they tested Ricksons torque strength for his neck crank among the strikers power in their attacks, I think it would have been kinda cool if you could have tested the power with which a Judo guy can throw an opponent to the ground, or the speed in which a wrestler can shoot in.

Lastly, I wanted to see if I could get a charity started for the TKD guy so he could buy himself a shirt...... I'll put down money says he does XMA.

That thaiboxer is Melchor "hardcore" Menor, I used to talk to him when my first Kru and him would fight on events together in Japan. He has some good fighters under him at his gym, too. He had a very impressive female fighter that I saw fight in Vegas a few years back. Melchor has beat Danny Steele a few times, once on superbrawl by a jump elbow.