• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Upcoming tourney

cathal

I think a good combination of kata to do would be one of the teki katas and basadai as my sempai has explained, they are opposites, teki is a quick "pretty" kata, and bassai dai is a strong "ugly" kata.

That's interesting, in our system Tekki is a quick power kata, and Bassai-Dai is a speed kata.

Are you sure??? The common enterpretation for Bassai Dai is "Storming a Fortress".

I've never seen this done as a speed Kata and Tekki as a power kata.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a good combination of kata to do would be one of the teki katas and basadai as my sempai has explained, they are opposites, teki is a quick "pretty" kata, and bassai dai is a strong "ugly" kata.

That's interesting, in our system Tekki is a quick power kata, and Bassai-Dai is a speed kata.

Are you sure??? The common enterpretation for Bassai Dai is "Storming a Fortress".

I've never seen this done as a speed Kata and Tekki as a power kata.

Oh yes, definitely certain. We train Bassai-Dai as a speed kata in the interpretation of "Storming a Fortress" as well. It is a powerful kata to be sure; However for us the focus is on the speed, power is secondary for us in this kata.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

bassai is fast and powerful in places, as are most kata. i wouldn't divide kata into fast kata and powerful kata. bassai has a lot of stamping around in it, while in tekki a lot of movements are done from one stance so tekki looks snappier.

cathal, you're a kyu grade? when do they teach you hangetsu and gankaku in your school? i didn't learn gankaku until i was nidan.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

bassai is fast and powerful in places, as are most kata. i wouldn't divide kata into fast kata and powerful kata. bassai has a lot of stamping around in it, while in tekki a lot of movements are done from one stance so tekki looks snappier.

cathal, you're a kyu grade? when do they teach you hangetsu and gankaku in your school? i didn't learn gankaku until i was nidan.

Indeed I am. We learn our core grading kata (The 5 Heians, Tekki Shodan & Bassai-Dai) up to 3rd kyu (my rank). But when we get to 3rd kyu we learn the remaining six, so we can practice them for tournaments & bunkai.

- Sun-tzu

• 1 month later...

I am INCREDIBLY nervous. What do you do in order to deal?

- Sun-tzu

I'm just gonna go to kata until I'm so tired I can't care about being nervous. :)

- Sun-tzu