• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A question about ranks...

We use Sho-dan-ho as the rank for Jr. Black Belt.

In my school you can not promote to a full adult black belt until you are 15 years old. I start students at 8 years old...so if a student starts at 8 and progresses normally, by the time they are 12 or 13 they should know everything they need to test for sho-dan. We do not test them for full black belt by rather for sho-dan-ho instead.

The best is one of those black belts with the white stripe down the middle. When that same student gets 15, they test for sho-dan and get the regular black belt.

Pretty much the way that we did it. Although 16 was out minimum (but that was 20 years ago and time and kids have changed)

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
We use Sho-dan-ho as the rank for Jr. Black Belt.

In my school you can not promote to a full adult black belt until you are 15 years old. I start students at 8 years old...so if a student starts at 8 and progresses normally, by the time they are 12 or 13 they should know everything they need to test for sho-dan. We do not test them for full black belt by rather for sho-dan-ho instead.

The best is one of those black belts with the white stripe down the middle. When that same student gets 15, they test for sho-dan and get the regular black belt.

We use the black belt with the white stripe down the middle as our recommended belt. We call the recommended black belts 'skunk belts.'

In our dojo, we used the "shodan-ho" rank for junior black belts. The belt was black with a white stripe to indicate the difference. When the student was of appropriate age or understanding (usually somewhere between 14 and 16 years old) then they would receive their full dan ranking without having to test again. We allowed students as young as 5 years of age to start in the dojo, and under normal training conditions, this child could have a black belt ranking by age 9. Without any experience in teaching classes, bunkai (the children's class didn't learn bunkai), and other philosophical aspects of the art. Once a child was a junior black belt, then they would start attending and help instruct the basic adult classes to learn all of these aspects that they were missing. Then when they learned enough through these classes, they were given their shodan.

Hope this helps

"On Ko Chi Shin"

i like the junior black belt idea. as long as they have to regrade when they reach the age of senior BB.

at one TKD school, the juniors had a modified BB test, but i never saw anyone get regraded when they reached a certain age.

Now you use head for something other than target.

• 7 months later...

for us we have, 10th gups, all the way down to 1st gup which is our last belt before black belt, then the training black belt candidates keep their red belts but are considered cho dan bos which means 1st degree black belt candidate. then they get their black belt, cho dan, 1st degree, then ee dan, second and so on. hope this shined some more light on that for you.

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

• 1 month later...

well, i dont know exactly what language it is xena(might be japanese, dont quote me though) but i know in my korean art we call them cho dan bo's and it means black belt candidate, its the waiting period between the last rank and 1st degree. hope that helps.

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do