• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Azula,

After 21 years in Karate, I find that practicing my front kick, lunge punch, and reverse punch is still the most important thing for me. Do not worry about doing the same thing over and over again. You've only trained for 4 or 5 months! If you stopped today, and were attacked in 10 years, the muscle memory for those techniques would no longer exist! My point is this, learning new stuff does not necessarily make you better.

I know many here have heard this and you may have also. There is a famous saying:

"I do not fear the 1000 techniques you know. I fear the one technique you've practiced 1000 times."

When you repeat a drill you've already done...think of it as one more chance to improve upon yourself and ensure your safety and the safety of your family in the future.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Your enthusiasm reminds me of a story that I recently read in Martial Arts Teaching Tales of Power and Paradox by Pascal Fauliot. The student asks the Instructor how long it will take him to become a Master. The Instructor says 30 years. The student asks how long it will take if he practices really hard and often. The Instructor says never.

I’m paraphrasing here; I’m sure someone can give a more accurate portrayal of that story.

I loved that book! I can't remember where I put it though. Might have to go searching for it.

Anyway, to clarify for those who haven't read it, the purpose of the story was this, when he asked how long it would take, the master gave him a figure. When he asked what if he trained really hard, this illustrated to the master that he had completely missed the point, and would therefore, never become a master due to focusing on the wrong things.

Thanks Jiffy. I knew someone would know what I was trying to say. That is a great book, a perfect compliment to The Karate Dojo by Peter Urban and Secret Tactics by Kazumi Tabata.

Are these books listed on the Library Sticky?

Also, bear in mind that, from your instructor's point of view, he's only been teaching you for 4 - 5 months. That isn't long enough for him to really get to know you and see how dedicated you are. It takes time, but your dedication will pay off in the long run (I'm speaking from experience). The first year can be frustrating, if you're a quick learner, because you feel like you've learnt the techniques. But I've now been a 4th kyu for a year because I failed a grading 6 months ago. With hindsight, I am glad! I was not truly ready to be a brown belt (3rd kyu), and I have enjoyed having the time to really work on my techniques and kata. Oddly, I feel I have improved a lot more than I would have done had I advanced a grade.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Take this time, and really learn the basics...that is the foundation of your Karate. If you think you are low in your stance go lower, if your kick is high, go higher. Like others have said, each and everytime you go to class you should learn something new.

You cannot do anything about the others willingness to learn, when doing kata, do it the best way you can, when doing partner work, attack and defend the best way you can. If your partner is not giving you a proper attack, let them know where they should be attacking. Don't overstep your bounds, but a quiet reminder is okay, it helps you and them be better Karateka.

Just my humble Opinion.

Here is my take on it. After 22 years of training and holding a 5th dan I still practice the basic kata, and kihon every time I am in the dojo. Why because there is no such thing as perfect technique in my mind it can always be better and it only gets better by repetition. If you are that concerned about progressing faster I suggest finding the time and money to train directly with Soke Kubota that man can teach you more in an hour 1 on 1 then he can in 6 months in a group session given you are the kind of learner you say you are.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Azula, trust me, your instructor sees that you are putting in the time and effort. Sometimes an instructor can see the desire in a student to be the best. It is this student they are the hardest on and push the most. Do not pay attention to other students. It is your journey that matters the most. Go to a higher ranked student before or after class. Ask him/her to look at your movements and ask them to offer suggestions on how to make it even better.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Azula, trust me, your instructor sees that you are putting in the time and effort. Sometimes an instructor can see the desire in a student to be the best. It is this student they are the hardest on and push the most. Do not pay attention to other students. It is your journey that matters the most. Go to a higher ranked student before or after class. Ask him/her to look at your movements and ask them to offer suggestions on how to make it even better.

Perfectly said.

Good advice!!

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

I do see azulas point as well,

from a students point of view there is nothing worse than practising any kind o kumite with a partner that is not enthusiastic about being there. ill admit there have been times where i havent been the best partner, for what ever reason. but when your partner doesnt really want to be there, it does affect your training as well, and makes it harder to improve.

having said that, there is nothing wrong with a bit of repetitiveness either. there is no need to rush, but if the people you are partnering are hindering your improvement, maybe something could be said to the instructor.

Now you use head for something other than target.