• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Troubles at my dojo

Azula

It sounds to me like you need to eat a little bit of humble pie and perhaps learn a little humility as well as you seem to learn techniques. Trust me, there is more to what you are learning that what you think there is. Someone on here said a little while ago "Being a Black Belt is about learning what you DON'T know about what you know"

I think that really illustrates the point. If you find you are bored and not learning anything... look deeper. There's more there than you think. Even with the intense training you are going through, I guarantee you that with the amount of training you have had, there is still much more to learn.

What's the rush?? Be patient my friend. The beuty of Martial Arts lies not in the end result but in the journey to get there.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure when I hit black belt, there will be many things I could still learn about stuff I learned when I was a white belt. Also, there's more to advancing to higher rank than just skill. Maybe they're wanting to see how you handle helping those students that have less skill than you. Perhaps some of those students can only go once or twice a week, not necessarily because they're lazy, it might be the only times they can go. Do you know for certain? I normally train in class 4 days a week, but the last couple of weeks I was only able to go once or twice. We're on a stretch of manditory overtime at my job. Just a thought.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

To add to that, I would say that training twice a week is actually quite good for a child.

But if the situation is really bothering you, you could talk to you teacher about finding a different class.

The best armour is to keep out of range.

I'll see(regardless of rank) if i can train with higher belts as well as low belts just so i won't get bored doing the same things since i go 5 times a week and not 2 or 3.

It sounds to me like you need to eat a little bit of humble pie and perhaps learn a little humility as well as you seem to learn techniques. Trust me, there is more to what you are learning that what you think there is. Someone on here said a little while ago "Being a Black Belt is about learning what you DON'T know about what you know"

I think that really illustrates the point. If you find you are bored and not learning anything... look deeper. There's more there than you think. Even with the intense training you are going through, I guarantee you that with the amount of training you have had, there is still much more to learn.

What's the rush?? Be patient my friend. The beuty of Martial Arts lies not in the end result but in the journey to get there.

I tend to agree, there really is no rush. Practice what you know and learn the bunkai. Get really good at it, at this point, and that will provide you with a great base to move on from. If you rush into things it's likely you'll burn yourself out too quickly and quit in frustration.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Never underestimate doing the basics. Most students learn a lot of new techniques in the beginning, then the amount of new techniques start to slow down. Now you must work on perfecting those. The fact is, there aren't enough techniques for you to learn the amount that you learn the first year, every year. Perfect them.

If you are getting bored with training and there is no chance of advancing any time soon, slow down a little. It's the journey, not the destination.

Your Instructor will promote you when you are ready (usually regardless of where the rest of the class is). If you are at yellow, that is where you belong in your Instructor's eyes. To say that you deserve to be a higher rank or deserve to learn more or should be working with higher ranks is disrespecting your Instructor and his experience.

Your enthusiasm reminds me of a story that I recently read in Martial Arts Teaching Tales of Power and Paradox by Pascal Fauliot. The student asks the Instructor how long it will take him to become a Master. The Instructor says 30 years. The student asks how long it will take if he practices really hard and often. The Instructor says never.

I’m paraphrasing here; I’m sure someone can give a more accurate portrayal of that story.

I think im just going to have to train other things on my own and perfect those of which i do at my dojo.

This is the best attitude to have. Don't worry about the others. When you are rteady to advance, the instructor will let you know. Five3 months isn't vaery far into a lifetime journey. Heck, it probably isn't even the first mile. Just relax, sit back, and enjoy the journey. :karate:

Your enthusiasm reminds me of a story that I recently read in Martial Arts Teaching Tales of Power and Paradox by Pascal Fauliot. The student asks the Instructor how long it will take him to become a Master. The Instructor says 30 years. The student asks how long it will take if he practices really hard and often. The Instructor says never.

I’m paraphrasing here; I’m sure someone can give a more accurate portrayal of that story.

I loved that book! I can't remember where I put it though. Might have to go searching for it.

Anyway, to clarify for those who haven't read it, the purpose of the story was this, when he asked how long it would take, the master gave him a figure. When he asked what if he trained really hard, this illustrated to the master that he had completely missed the point, and would therefore, never become a master due to focusing on the wrong things.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I loved that book! I can't remember where I put it though. Might have to go searching for it.

Anyway, to clarify for those who haven't read it, the purpose of the story was this, when he asked how long it would take, the master gave him a figure. When he asked what if he trained really hard, this illustrated to the master that he had completely missed the point, and would therefore, never become a master due to focusing on the wrong things.

Thanks Jiffy. I knew someone would know what I was trying to say. That is a great book, a perfect compliment to The Karate Dojo by Peter Urban and Secret Tactics by Kazumi Tabata.