• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional TKD = Tang Soo Do?

Very interesting!

My next door neighbors are housing a Korean foreign exchange student that also happened to go to my high school last year, and she hates Japanese with a passion; I can see where that argument may have come from.

I have a korean friend whose dad said to me once: "God created the japanese. Then, he realized he could do better, so he made koreans." which was hilarious hearing him say, but it points out the animousity they have as well. However, what I find odd is that the japanese people I know have know ill feeling toward koreans at all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I have a korean friend whose dad said to me once: "God created the japanese. Then, he realized he could do better, so he made koreans." which was hilarious hearing him say, but it points out the animousity they have as well. However, what I find odd is that the japanese people I know have know ill feeling toward koreans at all.

Haha! Yeah, I've found that all the Japanese people I've ever met are essentially apathetic or don't mind Koreans. Very interesting.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I'm part Japanese(mother was half) and was in a relationship with a Korean female for a few years and never had a problem with her regarding my ethnicity. Her grandmother, however, had a problem with my ethnicity. Even though I'm only a 1/4 Japanese.

Tang Soo Do has more of a shuri flavor to it...more pre Shotokan, if you catch my drift. They even perform "chinto" in TSD, not calling it gankaku(shotokan, Japanese, not Okinawan).

Very interesting!

My next door neighbors are housing a Korean foreign exchange student that also happened to go to my high school last year, and she hates Japanese with a passion; I can see where that argument may have come from.

haha, reminds me of Big Fat Greek Wedding "there are 2 types of people in the world, greeks, and everyone else who wishes they were greek"

sounds like your friends dad has the same philosophy on koreans :P

Now you use head for something other than target.

Yeah, I realize that but remember comparing my Chinto with a TSD instructor's Chinto many years ago is why I brought it up. It was near identical to how I peformed it, more similar than Shotokan's gankaku.

Tang Soo Do has more of a shuri flavor to it...more pre Shotokan, if you catch my drift. They even perform "chinto" in TSD, not calling it gankaku(shotokan, Japanese, not Okinawan).

TSD also teaches the naihanchi (tekki) and bassai forms.

Hmmmm, that's interesting, these are Japanese forms. Does anyone know where the crossover between Japanese and Korean content occured?

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

TSD also teaches the naihanchi (tekki) and bassai forms.

Hmmmm, that's interesting, these are Japanese forms. Does anyone know where the crossover between Japanese and Korean content occured?

The crossover occured during the Japanese occupation. Korean masters learned Karate in Japan, where they were usually educated. When Korea broke away, they wanted to start a nationalistic movement, and TKD became a catalyst. Everything Japanese about the art was deleted, and all of a sudden there is the existense of this Korean style, that is very similar to Karate. In order to seperate the two, the Koreans "discovered" their 3000 year martial heritage, and made it Korean for good.