• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata video (me!)

parkerlineage

Yeah, I guess it would be bunkai-ish applications (we don't use that term, but if I understand it correctly, then yes).

Nope. No other name. I kinda wish we had a cool name for it in Chinese, but Long Form 3 is it.

I will work on the video this weekend, perhaps...I'll even steal my sister's video camera so we can have sound and I can explain stuff verbally, too.

Thanks for your posts!

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice , thanks for sharing with us. i noticed some crane movie in your form , hitting eyes with open fingers and block ,punch in same time. also toward the end of form there were two kicks that you pulled your leg back and throw the low kicks , those are also crane kick from close distance, i was wondering what you call this kick, (by the way ,when you did the second kick ,you didn't turn enough and put you supporting knee in a awkward position). the from seems to be compeletly symmetric which i very good for training both sides of body.

if you got a chance list your forms , how many more like this you got ? what was the speedy hand set you posted before compare to this ?

do you have any form close to this clip or anything you call three battles (sanchin)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLgfru5PjM

very nice , thanks for sharing with us. i noticed some crane movie in your form , hitting eyes with open fingers and block ,punch in same time. also toward the end of form there were two kicks that you pulled your leg back and throw the low kicks , those are also crane kick from close distance, i was wondering what you call this kick

Yeah, there are some crane influences in our style. We call it (get set for a creative name) low-clipping-loading-back-kick-into-low-slicing-knife-edge. Gotta love Kenpo naming system, eh?

by the way ,when you did the second kick ,you didn't turn enough and put you supporting knee in a awkward position.

It's kind of supposed to be that way, and it's also because of my stupid ankle, but good catch!

the form seems to be compeletly symmetric which i very good for training both sides of body.

Yep. We AK guys tend to be moderately ambidexterous after a while because of it - especially if we start in early childhood - too. Helps us fight on either side, or deal with injuries.

if you got a chance list your forms , how many more like this you got ? what was the speedy hand set you posted before compare to this ?

Kata:

Short Form 1-3

Long Form 1-6

Sets:

Finger

Blocking 1/2

Kicking 1/2

Isometric (I MADE THAT ONE UP!!! :D )

No crazy names, sorry.

do you have any form close to this clip or anything you call three battles (sanchin)?

Nothing called or like that, but I like the name!

Thanks for your questions and comments!

Ed Parker

It will be interesting to see this form done on another person and actually see the application of the techniques. Can't wait!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

It will be interesting to see this form done on another person and actually see the application of the techniques. Can't wait!

That's actually something that I believe my style doesn't emphasize enough - our kata are designed to be done on a body, but nobody ever seems to have the time or desire to do it. So in my dojo, you better believe we will. I'm going to use my mother (3rd kyu (brown)) or my cousin (7th kyu (orange)) as the dummy for the video, hopefully.

Ed Parker

My instructor felt the same way, so he used our form (we basically have one really long one learned in segments) to create mini partner katas using the techniques in each segment. To test, we have to perform them within a specified time limit.

My instructor felt the same way, so he used our form (we basically have one really long one learned in segments) to create mini partner katas using the techniques in each segment. To test, we have to perform them within a specified time limit.

That's an interesting approach - I like it. It encompasses all the necessary aspects, or at least most of them.

Ed Parker