• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too late to start?

Hi there,

I am interested in starting some martial arts training, most likely in TKD. My question to you as a forum would be, what age is too old to start getting into this? Or, what age did most of you get into this (I'm hoping to find at least a few who succeeded without starting until their mid to late 20s).

Most people I know that are into MA got into it in their teens or preteens. I however floated more towards the slacker/grunger style and learned to play guitar instead. While I still enjoy guitar, i am kinda wishing I had gotten into a MA as well.

Right now I am looking into a ITF TKD school for my son (8) and was thinking of signing up myself. Its not really for self defense or with the desire of competition but just to keep fit and occupy my time. Self defense would be a benifit that came along with it, I suppose. Though I doubt competition would be something I would want to get into at this age, so far behind those who started younger.

So do you think that at 27 I am too old to bother? Do people who begin training at this age, ever catch up to people who have been doing it since their teens?

Thanks a lot.

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're never too old - don't let age stop you!

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

As the others have said, you're never to old. I started when I was 34 with my son who was 14 at the time. It was my wife's idea, something for us to do together. I was thinking she was crazy and that I was too old to start something like Karate. Well, I was wrong. It's great, at 41 I'm in better shape now than when I started. My son quit when being a teenager got in the way(he's in the Navy now) but I kept on going. My kicks are getting a little lower every year. :) I never regret starting, and when ever my wife gives me a hard time about going to train and just turn to her and say, "it was your idea, remember". Your not too old and it something that you and your son can enjoy together. Good Luck

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

I started when I was 31, with my sons.

I wouldn't discount competition because of your age. Most tournaments have an age bracket 18-34 for under belts, and its usually some pretty good competion. The sparring is really fun to watch, because the under belts lack good control, so they really tend to be very physical.

I enjoy competing, its a fun experience because you get to see so many different disciplines of martial arts.

GET THIS - In my style of karate (Hung Sao Do), our oldest starting student was about 74 I believe. He got his blackbelt by around his late seventies. Now if he can do it, I'm sure being in your twenties isn't a problem!

The best armour is to keep out of range.