• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about all the animal stances.

Azula

yeah, that's what i was saying. i see judoka using karate stances all the time, they just don't look the way the look in a kata. the stances are part of kazushi, even if you don't notice it.

yeah, that's my point exactly. you don't have to teach stance per se to achieve that effect, hence the lack of formal stance training in judo.

I think you'll find I said right at the beginning that stances are transitional and the work is done getting into a stance.

Also just because there is more than one way to skin a cat does not make another way wrong. Shotokan at least trains stances for a multiple number of reasons, including strengthening and conditioning of the leg muscles; being low lessens the target area; drops the COG and also to achieve a projection of body mass in a given direction.

I never said I disagree. I stated that stances weren't necessary, that's all, as some of you make it sound like they are necessary. basically, my point was that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Stance training doesn't really improve leg strength - here goes another tangent - unless your legs are weak. Stance training - a prolonged exercise - trains muscular endurance, not muscular strength.

I would say being low lowers the target area, but it doesn't lessen it - you aren't making yourself smaller.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never said that stances are the be all and end all of achieving the aim, just why WE do them. The fact remains that stances project body mass in a given direction... whether or not there are a million different ways to gain the same effect is immaterial. :)

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I never said I disagree. I stated that stances weren't necessary, that's all, as some of you make it sound like they are necessary. basically, my point was that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

That's because many people feel the ARE necessary. Not all, and obviously not you, but that doesn't mean that because you feel that way, that you are right. As you said, more than one way to skin a cat.

Stance training doesn't really improve leg strength - here goes another tangent - unless your legs are weak. Stance training - a prolonged exercise - trains muscular endurance, not muscular strength.

So as not to ruin this thread, please start a new one with explanations to this one....

I would say being low lowers the target area, but it doesn't lessen it - you aren't making yourself smaller.

Correct, the only advantage is a lower centre of gravity.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

All stances have practical application. Such as the "horse" stance (I'm assuming it's about the same as shiko dachi. this has practical application if you have an opponent on the ground and you don't want to be on the ground with them, just lower yourself to be in position to strike.

so, in short, they are important, so practice them, you'll use them later on in training if not real life situations

"On Ko Chi Shin"