• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about all the animal stances.

Azula

I've always been wondering what the point of having so many of the animal stances in many Martial Arts including some styles of Karate are. I've only learned the Horse stance thus far, and not to be ignorant, but i don't see how it would be useful in a fight. I've always been interested in the animal stances and i think they are pretty cool, but i don't know how they can be useful in a fight. How would you do some of the kicks and punches that you normally do in a free stance, when in a horse stance, or cat stance, tiger, etc... The whole stance of the legs and body is totally different.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first, things like 'horse stance' and 'cat stance' are modern names. they're not really animal stances. these stances come from kata and you have to look at the applications of the kata movements they are used in to understand them.

the horse stance is often used in kata as part of a throw. you kind of land in a horse stance as throw is completed. its also sometimes used while you're grappling with the opponent (as in naihanchi/tekki). the kata movements are ideal movements; in a real fight you won't stand there in a rigid horse stance because things deviate from the ideal in a real fight. the horse stance is conveying a principle which is used in the technique.

ever see a kick coming out of a horse stance in kata? no, because you're not supposed to kick things from a horse stance.

if you get in a fight, don't stand there in a horse stance. however there are some techniques which when executed correctly will be done at least partly in a horse stance.

in shotokan, we don't really do any cat stance stuff, and i don't know what a tiger stance is.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Like alsey was saying, there is a difference between kihon and application.

Stances are transitional techniques, not fixed positions. You will go into various stances while you are doing other movements without even knowing some of the time.

Well; first of Kiba-Dachi (Horse Stance) is used within Tekki Shodan/Naihanchi... Okay; what's my point here? Well; there is one kick used within that kata which is helpful, and if done correctly, you can hit the pressure points on the inside of the leg (and they are the hurtful ones too!)

Cat Stance, aka; Nekoashi Dachi is a great setup for doing Mea-geri with your front leg... Perfect!

So there are some uses within a stance... And like Alsey said; they are just modern names. :karate:

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

There is plenty of real, applicable bunkai to different stances....its really up to you to see them.

On the other hand, consider the conditioning benefit of those "animal" stances. Ever sit in a low tight "cat stance" for any amount of time, while your instructor is explaining things to you? If it ain't burning, you ain't doin it right! Consider all the things you do in a normal class, and think about the conditioning application of all of it. I don't know about you but after class my entire body is tired. So that must mean I'm working hard right?

Most stances are directional - they are about projecting your mass in a given direction, in order to gain a better effect. If I want to drop someone I could use my arm strength, or I could use horse stance in which case my whole body weight is behind the technique.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I was told that the horse stance came from soldiers learning to fight from horseback, so that all they could use was their arms.

Horse stances and cat stances are transitional moves, and the names just make more sense than "stance where your legs are spread out slightly more than shoulder width and feet pointing straight ahead so that you can train just your arms", and "stance where one foot is kind of on its toes and your weight is 90/10".

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker