• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Real Self Defence Stories

I've never been in a lot of real fights.

Someone came up to me when I was in elementary school and said, "you wanna fight?" and attempted to kick me. I grabbed his leg and held it until a lunch monitor came over.

In jr. high, (public school) I got picked on a lot. In the locker room, someone grabbed my sweatshirt and threw it in the trash. I went to go grab it and someone blocked my way. I don't know what happened, but the guy started screaming "let go of me, you f*!" I had trapped his wrists.

There have been a few other things, like having a bunch of people trying to get me on the ground and kick me, but they couldn't, another time a guy was messing with me so I spun him around and took him down from behind.

Haven't had any problems since I started high school at a private school.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elbows & Knees - I've read your other posts and you seem quite knowledgeable and experienced about fighting. I am thinking of taking up martial arts for self-defense. So I am looking to study something that is street effective. I only have time for one martial art and there arent a lot of schools in my area. So here's my question: Do you think Judo or BJJ is more street practical and effective? And could you explain why you believe one is better than the other?

I guess I am buying into much of the BJJ viewpoint that most fights will end up on the ground. That has been my experience when I was a child. But the judo guys say that a good judo man will not be taken to the ground so easily. Thanks for your thoughts, in advance.

Anyone else who wishes to reply to the post with their thoughts and reasoning are also very welcome!

first, check out the schools. some judo clubs are REALLY laid back. Others are very competition oriented and train extremely hard.

next, watch the content of the classes. take note of how much standup the bjj class teaches and how much groundwork the judo class does.

If all things are equal (both are competitive, both do stand up and ground regularly) then they are on fairly even ground. All else being equal, i personally would pick judo. Most fights will begin with both of you standing - judo will excel here. If it goes to the ground, judo will give you more than enough foundation to hold your own on the ground (provided they work groundwork regularly, as I stated earlier)

As for most fights going to the ground, those came from police stats that were used to promote bjj. Thinking about it, cops probably want to take a perp to the ground, as it will be easier for them to restrain the average guy there than it is to restrain him while standing. That said though, many fights do indeed go to the ground, as you have also noticed yourself. Both bjj and judo are invaluable in such a situation.

Elbows & Knees - I've read your other posts and you seem quite knowledgeable and experienced about fighting. I am thinking of taking up martial arts for self-defense. So I am looking to study something that is street effective. I only have time for one martial art and there arent a lot of schools in my area. So here's my question: Do you think Judo or BJJ is more street practical and effective? And could you explain why you believe one is better than the other?

I guess I am buying into much of the BJJ viewpoint that most fights will end up on the ground. That has been my experience when I was a child. But the judo guys say that a good judo man will not be taken to the ground so easily. Thanks for your thoughts, in advance.

Anyone else who wishes to reply to the post with their thoughts and reasoning are also very welcome!

first, check out the schools. some judo clubs are REALLY laid back. Others are very competition oriented and train extremely hard.

next, watch the content of the classes. take note of how much standup the bjj class teaches and how much groundwork the judo class does.

If all things are equal (both are competitive, both do stand up and ground regularly) then they are on fairly even ground. All else being equal, i personally would pick judo. Most fights will begin with both of you standing - judo will excel here. If it goes to the ground, judo will give you more than enough foundation to hold your own on the ground (provided they work groundwork regularly, as I stated earlier)

As for most fights going to the ground, those came from police stats that were used to promote bjj. Thinking about it, cops probably want to take a perp to the ground, as it will be easier for them to restrain the average guy there than it is to restrain him while standing. That said though, many fights do indeed go to the ground, as you have also noticed yourself. Both bjj and judo are invaluable in such a situation.

You are right about the Law Enforcement Officer stat, elbows_and_knees. Last night, at the county jail, we had to restrain the same guy 4 times, and all 4 times ended up with us putting him on the ground.

Just a question, but do you think it would be beneficial to train both judo and BJJ at the same time, or train a year in one and then add the other, or would this just be a monotony? Just wondering, because I like the throws of judo, and the BJJ ground game looks good. I just didn't know if they both contain enough of the same stuff to warrant training in just one if both were available.

Just a question, but do you think it would be beneficial to train both judo and BJJ at the same time, or train a year in one and then add the other, or would this just be a monotony? Just wondering, because I like the throws of judo, and the BJJ ground game looks good. I just didn't know if they both contain enough of the same stuff to warrant training in just one if both were available.

I would train both - that's what I was until I stopped bjj (work schedule). there is enough cross over that you will get to work what you are learning in both classes, which is extra practice for you. Also, it makes up for the gaps in each style. I would kill my fellow judoka at my first judo club on the ground, because i was the only one who trained bjj. They did a lot of ground work, but at the time, ground work was pretty much the only thing I was doing. The reverse was true in bjj. They had several good wrestling and bjj takedowns, but I could take most of them standing, except the ones who cross trained in judo.

I would train both - that's what I was until I stopped bjj (work schedule). there is enough cross over that you will get to work what you are learning in both classes, which is extra practice for you. Also, it makes up for the gaps in each style. I would kill my fellow judoka at my first judo club on the ground, because i was the only one who trained bjj. They did a lot of ground work, but at the time, ground work was pretty much the only thing I was doing. The reverse was true in bjj. They had several good wrestling and bjj takedowns, but I could take most of them standing, except the ones who cross trained in judo.

Cool, that's what I was wondering. Thanks for the advice. Now, just have to get a school of each to move here....

wow, that's a hell of a long time to be out.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

dunno... he doesn't work down there - he was one of two patrons that had an altercation with eachother. When he came to, he was still dazed, and from what I hear ( I wasn't close enough to see) he had a huge knot on his head. I'm pretty sure he sustained a concussion at the least.

Wow...you guys have hardcore jobs... :o

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker