• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Real Self Defence Stories

The most significant "fight" in which I have been involved happened over three years ago, and was not so much a fight as a beating. It was the last day of my sophomore year in high school. I was (and still am!) a short, skinny, geeky guy, and had to put up with some kind of crap almost every day until the day I graduated. The incident in question involved a long-time bully, for the sake of this entry, I'll call him, say, "Anthony Weisner," who was your typical moronic brute. For no reason other than for his own amusement, he brought a knotted piece of rope with him, the sole purpose of which was whipping me. Which he did. Eventually I was thrown out a classroom door (the teacher was not around, and this door lead outside due to renovation), the door was locked, and Tony and another individual (I'll call him "Ben Charles") began silently advancing on me with pieces of scrap angle iron from a dumpster. I literally thought they were going to kill me. I turned to run and just then the "teacher" walked out the door, and I was punished for trying to leave school, and was continually whipped for the rest of the school day (I had welts for a week). The end result? I attend at least four classes every week at my local martial arts school, I took 2nd place in my last full contact tournament, I am preparing for my black belt exam, and if I ever see him again, to he11 with the both the tenets of martial arts and the law . . . that dude is going DOWN!

Edited by Eric_

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ouch, a nerd who can beat me up... my bullying days will never be the same :P

I know what you mean though. Sure, we're taught self control and to not abuse our martial arts... but some people do tempt you!

The best armour is to keep out of range.

yeah, sometimes i kind of wish someone would just attack me to see if i can still handle it.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I don’t have any awesome street situation self defense stories, so I’ll share a comical story. All of my real confrontations have ended before any fisticuffs could ensue.

When I was in 9th grade, I used to wear my dad’s martial art school’s shirt to school. The name of the martial arts school was Kick It Martial Arts, so the shirt said Kick It real big across the back.

One day, I received a punt-style kick to the hind-end while walking down the hall to class. I turned to see this senior standing there; he said “your shirt said ‘kick it’, so I did.” This guy was huge: 8 feet 2 inches, 450 pounds, benched 1200 pounds and could palm a medicine ball; and apparently he was smart enough to take instructions from t-shirts.

I waited for a couple hours until the “funny” wore off for him, found him in a hall and returned the kick. I’m pretty sure we both came off of the ground. He turned around to hear me say “it was funny when you did it, and just as funny when I did it.”

The only time I've really ever used martial arts was when I was 12 and my big mouth brother who was getting picked on by some older teenagers, yelled that I knew karate! So of course they turned to me. I just wanted to get the heck out of there, so I grabbed my brother and turned to walk away. I heard one of them running towards me while my back was turned. I just turned, stuck a great side kick out and the fool ran right into my foot. While he was bent over, I punched him in the nose and he yelped. The others just ran away and this guy followed. I was so scared I was going to get in trouble. I guess however, he didn't want to explain to his parents or friends, how a little 12 year old broke his nose. My mom wasn't mad, but glad that she was paying for MA lessons and that it worked for me.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I was on the bus on my way home from a great spending day in town (it was the day after my birthday! :D) And I had brought some great stuff with the money, and spending some time with my sister (who doesn't always get the time to see me as of working in Japan.)

Anyhow, we got on the bus, sat at the back, and began talking about life... Two teenagers (around 17) sat in front of us, and began to talk (it isn't a crime for someone else to do it) so we ignored them... Then they began shouting, and one got out a cigarette lighter to begin playing with it (I'm not bothered if he burns himself! :lol:)

We got to our stop, I let my sister go in front (as a gentleman would) and then I followed... The two teenagers followed us all the way home! :o We got to our street and all of a sudden I heard one of them running towards me... I turned around to face him (he stopped about 6 feet away) and began to shout at me in foul language...

I shrugged, and began to walk back slowly (still facing him... My sister was telling me what was behind me...) And this guy still walked towards me, I stopped and this time he was gonna do something.

He was standing right in front of me, having a grip on my arm (my right) and his left arm raised to punch me. Instantly I did a front kick into his stomach, and twisted my arm so that it came out of his grip without me having to tug at it (if you make an "okay" sign, but with a gap, i got my arm out of that gap...) and then did two punches to where his kidneys where... He fell there and then on the ground.

By this time, everyone came out to see what the commotion was and my sis phoned the police... Everyone cheered and clapped when they saw what happened... Apparently they had been stalking some other people as well as vandilising property...

My parents were well pleased to know that MA came in handy for me, and I also got some extra money out of them for that too! :D

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

I wish that sometimes I was pressed into more self-defense situations, so that I could have the feel of it down.

As someone who is involved in altercations almost every day, trust me - no, you don't. enter full contact fighting matches. you will experience similar adrenal response and against more skilled opponents, minus the threat of death or serious harm.

Elbows & Knees - I've read your other posts and you seem quite knowledgeable and experienced about fighting. I am thinking of taking up martial arts for self-defense. So I am looking to study something that is street effective. I only have time for one martial art and there arent a lot of schools in my area. So here's my question: Do you think Judo or BJJ is more street practical and effective? And could you explain why you believe one is better than the other?

I guess I am buying into much of the BJJ viewpoint that most fights will end up on the ground. That has been my experience when I was a child. But the judo guys say that a good judo man will not be taken to the ground so easily. Thanks for your thoughts, in advance.

Anyone else who wishes to reply to the post with their thoughts and reasoning are also very welcome!

Elbows & Knees - I've read your other posts and you seem quite knowledgeable and experienced about fighting. I am thinking of taking up martial arts for self-defense. So I am looking to study something that is street effective. I only have time for one martial art and there arent a lot of schools in my area. So here's my question: Do you think Judo or BJJ is more street practical and effective? And could you explain why you believe one is better than the other?

I guess I am buying into much of the BJJ viewpoint that most fights will end up on the ground. That has been my experience when I was a child. But the judo guys say that a good judo man will not be taken to the ground so easily. Thanks for your thoughts, in advance.

Anyone else who wishes to reply to the post with their thoughts and reasoning are also very welcome!

Are BJJ and Judo schools available in your area? If so, you should go check out a class of each, and see which instructor teaches in the method that you prefer. As far as the comment about being taken down, the thought process is this: If you are experienced in groundfighting, and taking people down, then you will know how to better defend against being taken down.

Noticed that you are new as well, so welcome aboard! :karate: