• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Even in boxing matches though, you'll often see the two fighters get into a clinch at least once. Of course all they can do from that point is throw short range body shots due to the constraints of boxing rules, but that would be the perfect range for a throw or take down

Thanks for posting that so I didnt have to. Think about it for a minute- here are two people who cant be anymore striking oriented, and their natrual instinct is still to grab their opponent.

This is true, but they aren't thinking takedown when they clinch...they are tired. However, that is not to say that with a little augmented training, they could turn it into clinching and takedowns.

You make a good point about it being natural to want to clinch up. Since the dawn of mankind, shows of stength have been exhibited in wrestling types of matches, and nearly every major culture had some form of a folk-style of wrestling.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with Judo is that you aren't going to finish someone unless you are able to throw just that hard or into something like a fire hydrant.

I disagree with that. Picture where most 'street fights' happen. On the street of course. Concrete and asphalt. Watch a few Judo slams on youtube and then picture them being performed onto concrete instead of mats. One good judo slam could end the fight, allow you to get into a dominant position since anyone slammed would likely be at the very least, stunned, or allow you to get out of the situation.

I've been considering taking a grappling class to supplement my TKD training and personally I lean towards Judo for a couple reasons.

1. Is price, locally the Judo club charges $50 a year, the BJJ charges $700.

2. I like the mix that I've seen at the judo club in regards to standup vs ground training. It was probably 70/30, where as at the BJJ club all focus was on the ground (outside of a bit of standup striking)

3. Aggression levels. This is only in regards to one local club, a lot of guys at the BJJ club seemed to fancy themselves as the next Ultimate Fighter. They were aggressive and very competitive. A lot of people seemed to be leaving hurt. Not major injuries, but more than I thought there should have been.

In closing, if I were younger and had some sort of ambition to enter MMA tournaments, I'd probably go with BJJ. Even if I thought I was going to be in a ot of fights, I may go with BJJ. But in all honesty, I'm 27 and have never been in a single fight in my life. I know you should always be prepared, but if I was going to get in a fight it was more likely to be in my early 20s when I spent more times at bars, and more time on city streets after midnight. I take MA now for fun an for myself. I don't expect to have to ever use it.

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

I disagree with that. Picture where most 'street fights' happen. On the street of course. Concrete and asphalt. Watch a few Judo slams on youtube and then picture them being performed onto concrete instead of mats. One good judo slam could end the fight, allow you to get into a dominant position since anyone slammed would likely be at the very least, stunned, or allow you to get out of the situation.

You're right, but BJJers can slam too :)

I've been considering taking a grappling class to supplement my TKD training and personally I lean towards Judo for a couple reasons.

2. I like the mix that I've seen at the judo club in regards to standup vs ground training. It was probably 70/30, where as at the BJJ club all focus was on the ground (outside of a bit of standup striking)

If Judo or BJJ was going to be the only style you learn then I would agree with you on that point, but you already have TKD for standup, so I would say you want to do as much ground as possible.

3. Aggression levels. This is only in regards to one local club, a lot of guys at the BJJ club seemed to fancy themselves as the next Ultimate Fighter. They were aggressive and very competitive. A lot of people seemed to be leaving hurt. Not major injuries, but more than I thought there should have been.

You might want to ask them about the injuries. What sorts of injuries did they seem to have? Did it seem like they were cranking joint locks hard? A BJJ rolling session should look reasonably aggressive, but still friendly. If these guys looked like they were out to hurt or humiliate their opponents then that's probably a bad environment.

Either way, you'll end up learning a lot of useful things I think :)

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

I got scuffed up plenty of times in the brief period that I got to try out Bjj- gi burns, bruises, cuts- but I learned a lot. There were also plenty of older guys (40+) in there that could wipe the mat with me too, so I wouldn't count yourself out for the sake of age. Personally- I think that to do both would pretty much cover everything you need to know about grappling (with maybe a few greco take downs thrown in for good measure). Judo and Bjj are wonderful arts that I would recommend to anyone, and I find the animosity between them a bit puzzling with Judoka's claiming that BJJers 'stole' everything, and likewise Bjjer's saying that judo is obsolete and worthless because a youtube video shows Gracie beating a judo black belt (side note: Gracie is one of the modern martial legends and could pretty much beat anybody regardless of style). However a rivalry I can understand, as they both are part of the grappling trinity. Try out both, see what you like. There will always be Judoka who can beat Bjjers and vice versa, so pick the one that you enjoy and learn from the most.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• 2 weeks later...

marie curie wrote:

The thing with Judo is that you aren't going to finish someone unless you are able to throw just that hard or into something like a fire hydrant.

No... Judo has a lot of locks....not the same quantity of bjj , but judokas may choke and lock. In fact , the BJJ´´KIMURA ´´ lock was named after Kimura the judoka who defeated heio gracie.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´