• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring

islandman

What is the best brand of sparring gear?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best brand of sparring gear?

• Tiger Claw
    • Century
    • Rival
    • Other(please post)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I really don't think the brand is that important, their all kind of the same. I will say this though, lately the price of complete sparring gear sets has dropped incredibly. I payed $100 for mine, which now cost's like $69 at karatedepot.com. I ordered some shin guards from that site, and they got to me really quick.

Mix:

ASE gloves

Bike hard cup

Shock doctor mouthguard

Like Jiffy said, they're all pretty much the same. Look around, see if you can find a good price and good customer reviews.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

as others have said, they're all much the same. or at least, i can't tell the difference between one brand and another when it comes to gloves or gum guards.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Most brands stock stuff that is much the same. It depends on what particular item you are after, but generally this is true.

One of the reasons they are similar is that most sellers/resellers get the product from one of a few manufacturers. They just get it branded with their logos.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

A lot of the newer gear that the MA stores are showing touts a "double" layer of protection. Basically, it is thicker than normal gear. I'm pretty comfortable with it... but you might not be. Either way, look for it out the next time you are shopping.