• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wado ryu

sliknik

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i'm not actually a wado ryu practitioner so i'm not 100% on this, but i think:

junzuki is a lunge punch: you punch with the arm on the same side as the forward leg. zenshin means 'awareness' vaguely, so i guess zenshin junzuki is a lunging punch with awareness.

gyakuzuki is a reverse punch: you punch with the arm on the same side as the rear leg.

tobikomizuki is like junzuki, but you jump into it more i think. in japanese arts tobikomi generally means moving in and attacking as soon as an opening appears.

mae geri is a front kick.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Tobikomizuki: start in Shizentai (natural stance - i.e. one leg slightly in front of the other shoulder width apart). Jump forward with the lead leg, as you land perform a snap punch to the head with the lead hand (i.e same hand as the lead leg).

Haven't heard of "tobigyakazuki".

I wonder if you mean Junzuki No Tsukkomi (which I used to confuse with Tobikomizuki when I was at your grade) and Gyakazuki No Tsukkomi?

I haven't heard of Zenshin Junzuki either.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Tobikomizuki: start in Shizentai (natural stance - i.e. one leg slightly in front of the other shoulder width apart). Jump forward with the lead leg, as you land perform a snap punch to the head with the lead hand (i.e same hand as the lead leg).

Might I add, that in Wado, that this is a raising punch, the punch raises up, as you lunge forward, therefore the aim is to hit the opponent, right under the chin.

TobiGyakazuki...Lunging Reverse punch...or as Fish mentioned Gyakuzuki No Tusikomi, or leaning reverse punch. In the Wado style, I do, this punch looks awkward..you basically end up in a Nahanchi stance (hourglass stance) doing a leaning reverse punch to the lower area of the opponent. The lead foot is just slightly ahead of the back foot, in fact, the big toe of the back foot should be in line with the heel of the front foot. It is not a comfortable stance to be in for any length of time. :D

Tobi can also mean Flying/Jumping...so Maetobigeri, would be a jumping front kick.

Gyakazuki No Tsukommi is certainly uncomfortable and awkward to begin with, but it gets easier with practice. And then we add a kick to make it Kette Gyukazuki No Tsukommi. This is more awkward still because the stance makes it hard to get your balance for the kick.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)