• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Call or not

Would you call?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you call?

• I would call
    • I would not call

I have trained in two schools of different thoughts when it came to students who stopped coming to class.

One school would ALWAYS call when someone stopped coming and attempted to get them back to class.

Another school wouldn't even make an attempt because the instructor said that in his experience, anyone who wants to quit is going to quit anyway no matter what you did.

What is your opinion?

What works works

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past we have never attempted to get back in touch with students that have stopped.

As of next year, we will be contacting all ex-students...

Why? Most students don't make a consious decision to stop, they slowly fizzle out. For most, they always have the "intention" to come back, but never quite get around to it. I think a large part of that is that they are not sure if they will be welcomed back with open arms (which of course they would be).

I think a phone call is a little too confronting, but a letter will let them know that they are missed, but also gives them the option to not respond.

It's been well proven that school that call lost students and keep in touch with students that are lacking in attendance have the highest student retention.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

For me it depends on the student. A yellow belt who came, lasted 5 months and leaves I don't call. A brown belt on the other hand I might get up with.

Then again I run my dojo as a non-profit joint, so I only call people for sentimental reasons, not because they help pay the bills.

I would think that most people would view it as hassling, unless, as previously pointed out, they were longtime students. I don't know for sure though - interesting question.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I would give them some time, like a few weeks, and then give them a call. Nothing pressing, just to say we have missed so-and-so in class, and was just wanting to see how they were doing. Maybe you can get some info this way. Also, it shows you care.

I would give them some time, like a few weeks, and then give them a call. Nothing pressing, just to say we have missed so-and-so in class, and was just wanting to see how they were doing. Maybe you can get some info this way. Also, it shows you care.

This is great. It adds a personal touch to the training and it possibly get information to the school as to why the student has left.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I don't think a letter is too pressing. You think about it, if you get a letter, read it and are not interested, just throw it in the bin. It's only if you keep writing to them that would be hassling them I think.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

A Karate/Martial Arts school is itself a community within a community. My belief is that it should be like a second family. Many kids want to join a school because they want to feel like they belong somewhere. Many adults join a school because they want an activity that relax's them and keeps them active, but also gives them the benefits of self defense and exercise....in other words they want to belong somewhere.

I would always call students that haven't showed up in a couple weeks for training. The goal of any instructor, whether martial arts or some other activity, should be for their students to attain the highest standard available, because that speaks directly to that particular instructors credibility. There are no bad students only bad instructors (don't know if I always believe that quote, but it keeps me motivated).

That being said, everyone gets burnt out at times with the normal routine. Sometimes it really takes your instructor showing personal attention to motivate someone to get back into their training, just a little encouragement over the phone, or a visit to their house could make all the difference in the world.