• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

first night at kyokushin

End

hi everyone, i went to my first class at a kyukoshin dojo, my first ever martial art and i liked it alot, but i have a couple of questions if anyone could answer them.

1. what does osu mean?

2. is there any book or website that lists all the techniques there, i think we went through like 20 and i cant remember what they were all called.

3. this is just a general karate question, but if i see my sempai down the street or just outside class do i refer to him as sempai? or just by his normal name?

thanks again if anyone could answer them.

smile and world smiles with you

weep and you weep alone

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. this is just a general karate question, but if i see my sempai down the street or just outside class do i refer to him as sempai? or just by his normal name?

thanks again if anyone could answer them.

it really depends on the person. i've never called anyone sempai outside the dojo, but my sensei i would always call sensei. i don't think there's any reason why you should have to conform to 'dojo rules' outside the dojo, but do what you feel is right. i would always call my instructor sensei because i really respect him and calling him sensei shows that respect.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I prefer for my students NOT to refer to me as Sensei outside the lessons. You never know what sort of trouble you might attract if someone overhears and decides they want to take on a karate "expert". (Public perception, not my own perception of myself)

None of my instructors have ever asked for me to refer to them as Sensei outside of training, and in fact I once got a ticking off for referring to someone as Renshi when we were in the pub after training.

Personally I think someone would have huge ego issues if they demanded that outside of the dojo.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

You should be able to find some techniques listed on Wikipedia.org. under just a karate heading. That should help you refresh a little.

As far as the formalities go, find out for sure by asking. Most of the time, you will avoid those things outside of the dojo.

AngelaG, I agree with your observation. It's definitely unwise in East London to reveal that one does karate - there are plenty of street fighters who want nothing more than to be able to boast that they've beaten a BB.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

If unsure, ask. These are normal questions from most beginners, so don't feel silly asking.

BTW - Welcome to the world of Martial Arts!! Hope you enjoy it.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

End: Congratulations on starting on the path of Kyokushin Karate.

To answer your questions.

Osu-The word OSU implies to push onself to the limit of ones ability. The word OSU is of ten thousand meanings expressing the willingnes to strive against all odds. To perservere on the COURTEOUS road to physical, mental and spiritual strength, a communication of RESPECT of ones seniors and a resposibility to ones juniors.

I would suggest that you ask your instructor if he has a student handbook that your organization uses. If so purchase one and if it is of good quality it should answer your second question. If not search the net, i am sure what you are looking for will be somewhere out there. As far as other books or reference material, there are many books on Kyokushin, the best are very rare and unless you have deep pockets are very expensive.

Your third question is a good one. I have a sign outside my dojo:' BUDO KARATE'. Budo translated means "the way of war" or "the way of the warrior" so having said that, Kyokushin is a martial art, a Budo Martial Art. I nor would any of my students ever think of calling one of our Sensei's or Shihan's by their first names inside or outside the dojo. Even when they are not present they are still refereed to with the title Shihan or Sensei. That is the way i was taught and that is the way my students are taught, yes we get some funny looks but to people who "get it" we get nothing but respect. They worked long and hard to get that title so they deserve to be called by it. I would suggest you address your Sempai as just that and if you ever get the opportunity to meet a Shihan or a Sensei then address him/her as such. You just might save yourself a whole lot of grieve.

I have trained with the top Kyokushin instructors in the world and have never heard anyone ever refer to them inside or outside the dojo by their first name, it has always been and will always be Sosai, Kancho, Shihan or Sensei.

Good luck and enjoy the training, maybe someday our paths in the Kyokushin world will cross and we will have the opportunity to train together, I will look forward to that day.

OSU

i struggle calling my instructor sempai in training let alone out of training.

probably because we were mates before i started training.

Hi sempai :P

Now you use head for something other than target.

Hahahaha, yeah, it makes it interesting. Teaching friends is a challenge.

Trying to call Dad "Sensei" in class is interesting too, but now it just comes naturally (as you know, I often call him that after we get home from training)

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.