• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have an odd situation here

For those of you that read my post (or you can refer to it here: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27999 )

My instructor is out of jail (Im thinking on bond) and is now calling and asking for back dues. He says he is opening a different building with his 2 top instructors who are ONLY brown belts as the instructors of the school. He says he will not be teaching at all but wants to collect dues. I actually heard this from a fellow student from the school. I havent been there in a few months now. My Sifu called him and told him this over the phone.

This whole situation kinda p*sses me off, I havent been getting lessons from him and the 2 people that are going to run the new school CANNOT rank me anyway. They really arent much farther than I am. This situation sounds like I went to a McDojo but I assure you it was the real deal. Im not sure what I should do, any ideas?

There is no teacher but the enemy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should've moved on when he went to jail. Drop him like he's hot, and find a new instructor.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Run, don't walk, away from this guy.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

If there were back dues, how could they be owed to him? not that you couldn't teach from jail, but ,hmm, jail is a really bad sign :o not to make a joke but what about the tenets of martial arts, hello.... Hopefully you have other choices as obviously you want to pursue your career.

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

if people owe hm money from a time when he was teaching then he is in his rights to ask for it. if he was kind enough to let people train without paying then they should be nice enough to pay when they are asked.

of course he cant ask for money for the time that he was unable to teach.

he probably needs the money for his defence and that is why he is asking for it.

remember people, innocent until guilty, if he is out on bond then im guessing it hasnt gone to trial yet.

i would hope that if i were in the same situation, my students would stand by me. but, if i was guilty and put away, i would not then expect them to stay around.

Now you use head for something other than target.

I have to admit, I agree with Zorbasan to some degree. He hasn't been found guilty, so you don't even know if he's done anything wrong. Perhaps see if you can get any further information.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Interesting, just move on and do something else. I don't even see how this instructor can expect to collect back dues if he wasn't teaching. It doesn't matter if you were on a contract, because he wasn't teaching. I think deep down he knows this and is just hoping you and the other students(former)of his don't realize he has no legal right to collect tuition from you. It doesn't matter if he uses a billing service, it will be a hassle but you can call them up and say "my instructor was in jail/prison and wasn't able to teach me".