• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

loyalty to my Instructor/husband

While indeed you are correct there, as have been a couple before you, there's something here that no-one has mentioned yet, and which you would not know unless you have taught on a regular basis.

One of the fastest ways to learn more is to teach.

While I agree that one should not start a school or branch of a school until they are well and truly ready, I do not believe that rank is an accurate indication of that rediness.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While indeed you are correct there, as have been a couple before you, there's something here that no-one has mentioned yet, and which you would not know unless you have taught on a regular basis.

One of the fastest ways to learn more is to teach.

While I agree that one should not start a school or branch of a school until they are well and truly ready, I do not believe that rank is an accurate indication of that rediness.

You make a very good point here. I learned so much when I began teaching.

Just a side note from my past experiences. When I was in the Instructor Trainee program in the ATA as a 1st degree, I was required to log 1800 hours of assistance to a Certified Instructor at my school. This, along with several other requirements, had to be met before I could go off to Instructor Certification Camp, which was a week long ordeal of learning various teaching methods and strategies.

There are a lot of things that go into being a good instructor, and assisting is a very good way to get some good experience.

jeez, :o I didn't mean leave after acheiving 1st dan, people get so bent sometimes, I was talking about a year or two out. I have been teaching in some way for almost two years. I know that I am not a black belt yet, but I am and have been for some time mentally. Yes, you learn alot when you teach for sure, like who learns what way and whether or not you really know your katas without having to do them from the beginning to get to the technique a person is talking about :D and furthermore I have been in training for five years, which to some may not be long enough but being married to an instructor does give you some insight on teaching as well. :karate: :lol:

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

You may be a very capable teacher, but having only a few years under your belt, do you feel now is the time to go solo? Relax, enjoy the scenery, enjoy where you are and learn as much as you can.

bat

agree!

Being a shodan is about learning what you DON'T know about what you know. If that statement perplexes you, you're not ready to be a teacher. if you understand it, your still probably not ready to be a teacher. when you try to teach what you know to someone else..... it all becomes clear... and that is very confusing :wink:

place clever martial arts phrase here

I tend to agree with the majority in that diplomatic & constructive conversations are the best way to go. In our dojo we typically do not separate children from adults, but we rarely have a lot of kids in the class. Right now we've just got two.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

We too have general classes for all. The numbers of students we have at the moment simply do not warrant seperate classes, although it is something we are looking at for the near future.

i must say that as an adult, i sometimes find training with juniors quite annoying. as they are around the same grade as me, they are always right next to me in the line. when they start mucking around it disrupts my concentration and affects my learning.

the main problem is when there are 2 or more there. they joke around with eachother and really dont put much effort in. however, seperate these juniors from each other (ie make them perform kata infront of class) and they do really well.

the most obvious time was the last training before a grading. they said "we dont have to try tonight, cos only tomorrow counts" trying to explain to them that the training between gradings counts as much as the grading itself just didnt sink in.

when the juniors arent mucking about, they show quite a lot of potential, but when they arent in the mood, i find it disrupts me. i do my best to block it out but sometimes i just want to throttle them.

Now you use head for something other than target.

I know how you feel Zorbasan. If you think that's bad, try controlling them while still teaching them (and everyone else) something. It certainly takes patience!! Unfortunately, they do disrupt the class and that's one of the many things we have to toss up in an effort to keep everyone happy.

Juniors do not have the attention span of adults. As you mentioned, when they try, they can do quite well, the problem is, they get distracted easily, and then they disrupt others.

Being a shodan is about learning what you DON'T know about what you know.

Wow.

That is hands down the best statement I have ever heard about being a shodan (I am not being sarcastic). I am writing that down in my ma notebook.

In fact, I think that just became my tagline.

Excellent statement, sensei rick!

bat

Being a shodan is about learning what you DON'T know about what you know.

just as further evidence to my point before. we had 1 junior in the friday night class, and she trained really well. listened to everything sempai had to say, took the criticism given to her and worked to improve it.

just goes to show that juniors can train well when they want to, however, the hard thing is getting them to want to when they can muck around with friends.

Now you use head for something other than target.